Towing service, rescue service (

If you select a location, the contact details of the responsible Point of Single Contact and the responsible authority as well as locally valid information will be displayed.

The following formalities are performed by responsible authorities and can also be handled via the Point of Single Contact if necessary. Please specify the location via Change selection. If you choose "To the responsible Point of Single Contact for ..." (if available), the contact details of the responsible Point of Single Contact are displayed. The contact details of the competent authority/-ies are displayed after choosing the formality.

Formalities according to the Services Directive

Formalities according to the Services Directive

For taking-up and pursuit of a service the follwoing specific service-related formalities (authorisations and notifications) must always be obeyed:

  • Business registration; business registration by non-EU citizens

    Wenn Sie Ihre Dienstleistung lediglich am Ort Ihrer Niederlassung anbieten, ist eine Gewerbeanzeige erforderlich. Wenn Sie Ihre Dienstleistung allerdings außerhalb Ihres Sitzes erbringen, benötigen Sie eine Reisegewerbekarte. Das ist z. B. der Fall, wenn Sie zusätzlich Waren (z. B. Kraftstoffe) oder Leistungen auf der Straße ohne vorherige Aufforderung anbieten. Eine Gewerbeanzeige ist dann nicht mehr erforderlich.

The following authorisations and notifications may be required:

  • Itinerant trade; application for a permit by non-EU nationals

    If you sell, distribute or purchase goods or offer services commercially outside a commercial establishment without a prior order, you generally need a permit (travel trade permit). You also need a travel trade permit if you carry out entertainment activities as a showman or in the manner of a showman.

Other service-related formalities

Other service-related formalities

For taking-up and pursuit of a service the following service-related formalities, which CANNOT be processed through the Point of Single Contact, must be obeyed:

  • Motor vehicle; application for national individual type-approval

    For vehicles that require type approval and for which there is no type approval or general type approval (ABE), the type approval must be issued by the registration authority before the vehicle is put into operation for the first time.

  • Towing over the freeway; application for a special permit

    In emergency cases, towing does not require a permit. A freeway must be left by the towing unit at the next junction. Driving onto the freeway is not permitted. An exceptional permit is required for towing via the freeway. This can be applied for in particular by companies that specialize in towing and have suitable emergency vehicles available for this purpose.

  • Truck driving ban on Sundays and public holidays; application for a special permit

    In Germany, trucks with a total mass of over 7.5 t and trucks with trailers are prohibited from driving on all Sundays and on certain public holidays. Certain transports, such as those of perishable fruit and vegetables or fresh milk and fresh milk products, are exempt from the ban by law. In addition, the road traffic authorities may grant exemptions for other, urgent transports on a case-by-case basis.

  • Truck driving ban on Saturdays of vacation travel season; request for exemption.

    Certain highly congested highway and federal highway sections in Germany are closed during the day on all Saturdays in July and August for trucks with a total weight of more than 7.5 t and for trucks with trailers (without weight limit) due to heavy tourist traffic. Exceptions to this regulation may be granted in certain cases.

Formalities relating to the place of business

Formalities relating to the place of business

In addition to the requirements related to a specific service there are authorisations and/or notification obligations in other legal areas regarding the place of business which CANNOT be processed through the Point of Single Contact.

Requirements particularly in the areas of construction law, public road legislation, imission control law, water and waste law, listed building regulations and forest law should be taken into account.

Formalities relating to the employment of workers

Formalities relating to the employment of workers

If you would like to hire an employee you need to proceed with the following steps. These formalities CANNOT be processed through the Point of Single Contact.

If the employment is terminated you also have to inform the authorities where the employee has been registered.

  • Company number; application

    When hiring the first employee (450-euro employees, employees subject to social insurance contributions, trainees), you must apply for a company number from the company number service of the Federal Employment Agency. The company number is required, among other things, for the monthly settlements of social contributions.

  • Accident insurance; registration by the employer

    If you are taking on employees for the first time, you must notify the statutory accident insurance institution responsible for your company within one week.

  • Social security; registration of employees

    Employees who are compulsorily insured under the statutory social insurance scheme must be registered with the competent health insurance fund as the collecting agency.

  • Wage tax; registration by the employer

    The employer must withhold and pay the wage tax.

  • Posting of workers to Germany; registration and other obligations

    When posting employees to Germany, the Employee Posting Act must be observed. This law obliges both employers based in Germany and employers based abroad who employ workers in Germany to comply with statutory and, in certain sectors, collectively agreed working conditions. In addition, employers are subject to further obligations.

  • Compensatory levy; payment

    Employers are obliged to fill a certain number of jobs with severely disabled persons or persons of equal status. A compensatory levy must be paid for each unfilled mandatory position.

Tax related formalities

Tax related formalities

For taking-up and pursuit of a service please also consider the following tax related formalities which CANNOT be processed through the Point of Single Contact:

  • Freelance activity; notification of the opening of a business

    The commencement of a freelance activity must be reported directly to the competent tax office without any formalities. The responsible tax office is informed by the respective municipality about the registration of a business. In addition, you must provide the competent tax office with further information on the legal and factual circumstances relevant for taxation.

Personal formalities

Personal formalities

We would also like to inform you about the following personal formalities which CANNOT be processed through the Point of Single Contact:

  • Residence; Registration

    When you move into an apartment, you must register with the relevant registration office (municipality or city) within two weeks.

  • National visa; application and extension

    Foreign nationals subject to visa requirements require a national visa for entry for longer stays (over 90 days) or stays leading to the taking up of gainful employment.

Characteristics and key concepts of the service

This service includes:

  • Support activities for the on-land transport of persons, animals, and goods:
    • Towing services


  • Abschleppdienst
  • Abschleppen von Kraftwagen
  • Autoabschlepp- und -bergungsdienst
  • Bergung von Kraftwagen
  • Kraftwagenabschlepp- und -bergungsdienst