National visa; application and extension

For entry for longer-term stays (over 90 days) or stays leading to gainful employment, foreigners requiring a visa need a national visa.



The requirements for the issuance of a national visa are based on the regulations applicable to the issuance of a residence permit, an EU Blue Card, an ICT card, a settlement permit and a permanent residence EU permit and thus differ depending on the purpose of residence (see "Related topics").


The visa application must be submitted to the competent mission abroad in good time before the intended entry.

Required documents

  • The documents to be submitted may vary considerably.

    Please enquire at the locally responsible foreign representation. As a rule, however, the following documents are required:

  • Valid passport

  • Proof of secure livelihood, if applicable declaration of commitment

  • Supporting documents evidencing adequate living quarters

  • Supporting documents evidencing medical insurance coverage

  • Supporting documents evidencing the purpose of stay, e. g. employer's certificate or employment contract

  • if necessary, further documents



    • Issue: 75 EUR
    • Extension: 25 EUR
    • Extension of a Schengen visa on federal territory beyond 90 days as a national visa: 60 EUR


Administrative court proceedings; information

Administrative court action (responsible Administrative Court Berlin)

Remonstration with the respective foreign representation


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.