Driving suitability register; self-disclosure of points score
Information on road users who have attracted attention in road traffic is stored in the Driver Suitability Register (FAER), insofar as the offense committed is to be assessed with points according to the driver suitability assessment system.
The person concerned can apply to the Federal Motor Transport Authority in writing, electronically or in person for information on the number of points.
The Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) records violations relevant to traffic safety in the Driving Suitability Register. Violations that have no direct impact on road safety are not recorded. Depending on the severity and accident relevance of the misconduct, administrative offenses and criminal offenses are assessed with 1 to 3 points. In detail the point evaluation can be taken from the appendix 13 of the driving license regulation.
According to § 4 para. 5 Road Traffic Act (StVG), an accumulation of points leads to the following measures by the driving license authority:
- In the case of a points score of 1 to 3, the reservation is made without further action.
- Those who reach 4 to 5 points (1st level) receive a warning and information about the driving suitability assessment system. If a driving suitability seminar is now attended voluntarily, 1 point can be reduced as a result. A corresponding reduction of points through voluntary participation in a driving aptitude seminar is only possible once in five years, and can also take place with a point score of 1 to 3.
- With a score of 6 to 7 (2nd level), a warning is issued. Even now, a driving aptitude seminar can be attended voluntarily, but in this stage without the possibility to reduce points.
- Reaching 8 points or more (3rd stage) leads to the revocation of the driving license.
Each offense and its points expire after fixed redemption periods: criminal offenses with revocation of the driving license after 10 years, criminal offenses without revocation of the driving license, administrative offenses that are particularly detrimental to traffic safety after 5 years and serious administrative offenses after 2.5 years. Entries are deleted after each additional year of overdue time to allow for correct calculations.
The Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (Federal Motor Transport Authority) will provide information free of charge about your ''account balance'' in the driving aptitude register.
You can apply to the Kraftfahrtbundesamt in writing or electronically (as well as in person in Flensburg).
To apply by post, you must send your personal data, your personal signature and a copy of your valid identity card (front and back) or your passport or your personal data and your officially certified signature to the Kraftfahrtbundesamt (see link to assigned forms for application form).
The online application is possible via the website of the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (link see assigned online procedures). To do this, you must be the holder of an online ID card (ID card, electronic residence permit or eID card) on which the online ID card function is activated and you know the six-digit PIN that you have selected yourself, and you must also have an NFC-enabled smartphone that you use as a card reader or card reader and the AusweisApp2 software.
If you apply online, you will receive the information online as a PDF document, if possible, otherwise in paper form by mail.
Application by mail with
- Your personal data and an officially certified signature or
- your personal data, your personal signature and a copy of your valid identity card (front and back) or passport.
Online application: You will need an online ID card (ID card, electronic residence permit or eID card) with the online ID function activated and a six-digit PIN that you have chosen yourself.
- an NFC-enabled smartphone that you use as a card reader, or a card reader and
- a software for reading the online ID card (AusweisApp2) on the device.
Antrag auf Auskunft aus dem Fahreignungsregister
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited