Chimney sweeping work; notification in the event of non-initiation
If the chimney sweeping work to be carried out is not carried out or the authorised district chimney sweep is not notified within the time limit, he/she shall report this to the competent district administrative authority.
From 2013, house and flat owners will be able to freely choose the chimney sweeping company they wish to commission to carry out most chimney sweeping work. The company must be authorised under trade law to carry out chimney sweeping activities in Germany (see "Requirements").
However, the possibility of commissioning a service provider does not apply to the activities that will continue to be reserved for authorised district chimney sweeps in future, which are listed below:
- the keeping of the sweep book with the control whether the obligations incumbent on the owners according to the sweeping and inspection regulations and the 1st BImSchV are complied with,
- carrying out the fireplace inspection including the inspection of the operational and fire safety of the installations,
- issuing the fireplace notice,
- carrying out inspections on specific occasions,
- the issuing of certificates for building inspections in accordance with state law and
- carrying out substitute measures if owners have not fulfilled their cleaning, inspection or measurement obligations.
Until 31.12.2012, all households received a so-called fireplace notice from the district chimney sweep on the basis of a legal obligation. This lists all the chimney sweeping work that must be carried out before the next fireplace inspection. The house and flat owners must arrange for this work to be carried out by a suitable chimney sweeping company themselves. If the authorized district chimney sweep is not commissioned, the completion must be proven to him by means of a form.
If the work to be carried out is not carried out or the authorised district chimney sweep is not notified within the time limit, he/she shall report this to the competent district administrative authority (district office or independent city). The authority then sets a deadline for the missing sweeps, inspections or measurements by means of a second notice which is subject to a charge. If the chimney sweeping work is still not carried out, the authority must initiate a substitute performance, which incurs further costs.
The districts are assigned to so-called authorised district chimney swe eps for a limited period of seven years in each case. These belong to the chimney sweeping trade as tradesmen and are allowed to carry out the other chimney sweeping work in competition in addition to the tasks assigned to them (see above).
Important instructions for service providers
- Grundsätzlich ist der zuständige Bezirksschornsteinfegermeister bis Ende 2012 für die Durchführung aller Schornsteinfegerarbeiten zuständig. Schornsteinfeger aus den Mitgliedstaaten der Europäischen Union, des Europäischen Wirtschaftsraums (EWR) oder der Schweiz, die vorübergehend und gelegentlich Schornsteinfegertätigkeiten in Deutschland anbietet, dürfen mit Inkrafttreten des Schornsteinfeger-Handwerksgesetzes (29.11.2008) die Mehrzahl der staatlich vorgeschriebenen Schornsteinfegerarbeiten in Deutschland durchführen.
When commissioning a company, it should be noted that only companies that are registered with the chimney sweeping trade or partial activities of the chimney sweeping trade in the register of skilled crafts or are permitted to carry out cross-border services in the chimney sweeping trade in implementation of EU law are entitled to carry out state-mandated chimney sweeping work.
According to the EU/EEA Crafts Regulation, foreign chimney sweeps must notify the Chamber of Crafts of their intention to work in Germany and provide documentary evidence of their authorisation. The Chamber of Crafts at the location of the planned first activity is responsible. Chimney sweeping work may only be carried out when the Chamber of Crafts has either informed the owner that no subsequent examination of the professional qualification is intended or when it has determined that the professional qualification is sufficient. If homeowners wish to commission a chimney sweep from a foreign EU country, they can generally use the Chimney Sweep Register to find out whether the foreign chimney sweeping company fulfils the requirements for carrying out chimney sweeping work. The Chimney Sweep Register is published by the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA) on their website (see "Further links"). It is not a legal requirement for performing chimney sweeping activities, but purely a source of information. Owners who do not have internet access should check with their Chamber of Crafts before instructing a service provider whether the business in question is listed in the register.
The commissioning of a non-authorised person is at the expense of the owners.
The deadlines for carrying out or proving chimney sweeping work are included in the respective fireplace notice of the house and apartment owners.
Links to more information
Das Schornsteinfegerregister bietet nach § 3 SchfHwG einen Überblick darüber, wer die Voraussetzungen zur selbständigen Ausübung von Schornsteinfegerarbeiten erfüllt.
Formblatt zum Nachweis der Durchführung von Schornsteinfegerarbeiten nach Anlage 2 zu § 5 der KÜO
Wenn Schornsteinfegerarbeiten durch einen anderen Schornsteinfegerbetrieb ausgeführt werden, muss der Haus- oder Wohnungseigentümer dem bevollmächtigten Bezirksschornsteinfeger nachweisen, dass er die Tätigkeiten hat ausführen lassen. Hierzu füllt der beauftragte Schornsteinfeger ein Formblatt aus, das der Haus- und Wohnungseigentümer an den bevollmächtigten Bezirksschornsteinfeger weiterleitet.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited