Craft; determination of necessity of craft registration.
The authorization to independently operate a craft subject to licensing, a craft not subject to licensing and a craft similar to a craft as a standing trade is regulated in the Crafts Code.
The Crafts Code (HwO) distinguishes between two categories of crafts:
- For crafts subject to licensing, which are listed in Annex A to the Crafts Code, you need to be registered in the Crafts Register (for more details on the registration requirements, see "Related Topics" under "Crafts Register; Registration as a Standing Trade").
- Trades that are exempt from registration and trades similar to trades that are listed in Annex B to the Crafts Code can be practiced without special qualifications. They must be notified to the Chamber of Crafts (for more details on notification, see "Related Topics" under "Crafts Law; Notification of an Admission-Free Craft or Craft-Similar Trade").
Special regulations apply to the temporary and occasional provision of services in a craft requiring authorization without an establishment in Germany by EU nationals and those with an equivalent status (see in detail under "Related topics" under "Handicrafts law; notification of cross-border provision of services").
To determine whether your project requires registration under craft law, please complete the information sheet and submit it to your Single Point of Contact or the Chamber of Crafts responsible for you. They will then be able to advise you of the formalities required in your specific case.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited