Residence cards and certificate of permanent right of residence; application
A residence card or permanent residence card is issued to family members of Union citizens entitled to freedom of movement and permanent residence who are not Union citizens themselves. Union citizens can apply for a certificate.
Permanent residence certificate:
- Citizenship of a member state of the EU or citizenship of one of the EEA states Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.
- Five years of permanent legal residence in Germany (in the cases regulated in Section 4a (2) of the Freedom of Movement Act/EU, possibly even before).
- third-country national family member (spouse or registered partner, children up to the age of 21 and, under certain conditions, other family members) of an EU citizen entitled to freedom of movement.
- Accompanying or joining this EU citizen
permanent residence card:
- third-country national family member (spouse or registered partner, children up to the age of 21 and, under certain conditions, other family members as well) of an EU citizen who is entitled to permanent residence
- five years of permanent legal residence in Germany with the EU citizen who is entitled to permanent residence.
Note: Depending on the circumstances of the individual case, further requirements may have to be met. Please inquire with the responsible foreigners authority in the individual case.
Valid identity card or passport
Current biometric ID picture
For the residence card:
- marriage certificate or registered partnership certificate/birth certificate for every child - including an apostille or legal authentication note, where required
- for foreign-language official documents: certified translation to the German language; only international official documents executed in several languages do not require a translation.
- if necessary, the EU citizen's certificate of residency who is accompanied or subsequently followed by family members
If necessary, you may be required to produce additional documents
The documents to be presented may vary greatly. Please find out more details from your competent Aliens Department (Ausländerbehörde). As a general rule, the documents listed above will be required (among others).
Permanent residence certificate: 10,00 Euro
Residence card or permanent residence card (persons up to the age of 24): 22,80 Euro
Residence card or permanent residence card (persons after the age of 24): 37,00 Euro
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited