Monument protection; application for permission for measures on architectural and ground monuments

If you want to carry out measures on architectural or ground monuments or in the vicinity of such monuments, you will in many cases require permits in accordance with the German Monument Protection Act (DSchG).


As a rule, measures relating to architectural or ground monuments or movable monuments entered in the list of monuments are only permitted if the lower monument protection authority (districts, independent cities and large district towns) has granted permission beforehand. The most important cases are listed below:

Monuments / movable monuments entered in the list of monuments

For all measures that involve the removal, alteration or relocation of a listed building and for most measures relating to protected furnishings, you require a permit under monument protection law. You also need such a permit if you want to erect, alter or remove structures in the vicinity of a listed building - but only if the measure you are planning may have an impact on the existence or appearance of the listed building.

A separate permit under monument protection law is not required if you need a building permit or an excavation permit for your project. In these cases, monument protection is "processed" as part of the building permit procedure or the excavation supervisory approval procedure. Please note that you always require a permit under monument protection law for measures on monuments for which you do not need a building permit!

You have a legal entitlement to a permit under monument protection law unless there are important reasons for maintaining the existing state of the monument unchanged. However, if there are such reasons - and this is often the case - permission can be refused. Instead of refusing permission, the licensing authority can grant it subject to conditions or other ancillary provisions intended to ensure that a solution compatible with the monument is implemented. This is a very common approach in practice. These principles also apply to projects requiring planning permission on monuments.

Ground monuments

You need a permit under monument protection law if you want to dig specifically for ground monuments. However, you must also obtain a permit if you want or need to carry out excavation work for other reasons that may affect ground monuments. In this case, it is sufficient that you suspect or must assume from the circumstances that there are ground monuments on your property. This includes, in particular, the case that you want to build on a plot of land on which there are ground monuments.

The monument protection authority can refuse permission in these cases if this is necessary to protect a ground monument. Here too, there is the option of granting permission subject to conditions or other ancillary provisions. Some lower monument protection authorities have developed special forms for the permit procedure under monument protection law for their area. Your local monument protection authority will be happy to advise you.

A permit is also required for the use of technical detection equipment on ground monuments for authorized professional purposes. Use for purposes other than professional purposes is prohibited.

Advice offered by municipalities

In addition, it should be noted that municipal statutes may also impose additional requirements on construction measures, particularly in terms of design. It is advisable to seek advice from the local authority at an early stage.


There are no deadlines or dates for the listed building permit procedure. Please note, however, that permission must be granted if you want to start your project. You should also bear in mind that the measures required in the conditions or ancillary provisions may take time. It is therefore advisable to submit the permit application as early as possible. The point of contact is always the Lower Monument Protection Authority, which will then forward it immediately to the municipality for its opinion.


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.

  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide: Formloser Antrag (mit Unterschrift)
    Please note

    This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.


  • Permits under the DSchG are free of charge. On the other hand, the usual cost regulations apply to building permits relating to monuments.


Administrative court proceedings; information

Administrative court action


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.