Energy supply; notification of energy supply to household customers

If you as a company supply household customers in Germany with energy via the public electricity or gas grid, you must report this to the Federal Network Agency (BNetzA).



Normally, these conditions apply:

  • Your company is already established.
  • You supply private consumers (regardless of consumption).
  • You supply consumers with a professional, agricultural or commercial annual consumption of up to 10,000 kilowatt hours.


You can submit the supplier notification online, by e-mail or by post. You can submit a notification for both energy sources (gas and electricity) together.

Online procedure:

  • The online wizard guides you step by step through the notification process.
  • Complete the form online and upload the required documents.
  • After logging in via your organization account and authenticating with the ELSTER certificate, you can submit the notification to the BNetzA online.
  • The Federal Network Agency will check your documents and request further evidence from you if necessary.
  • After a positive check, the BNetzA will send you a confirmation letter.
  • You can choose how the BNetzA contacts you.

By e-mail or post:

  • Download the notification form from the BNetzA website.
  • Send the signed form with company stamp and the required documents to the Federal Network Agency by e-mail (as a scan) or by post.
  • The Federal Network Agency will check your documents and, if necessary, request further evidence from you.
  • After a positive review, the BNetzA will send you a letter of confirmation.
  • You can choose how the BNetzA contacts you.
  • On request, the Federal Network Agency will publish your company name and address in a list on the BNetzA website.

Special notes

There are no indications or special features.


You must report the commencement and termination of your activity and any changes to your company immediately.

Processing time

3 bis 8 Wochen

Required documents

  • Required Documents

    At the start of energy supply:

    • Organizational chart of the entire energy supply company with the number of permanent employees
    • Simple certificate of good conduct for each member of the management
    • Schufa or Creditreform report with basic score value for each member of the management board
    • Self-disclosure of the management from the central trade register
    • Information on previous professional experience in the energy industry
    • if you outsource processes to third parties: List of the relevant service providers for the respective process step.

    If your company is based in another member state of the European Union (EU) and is already licensed by the competent authority there:

    • Approval certificate translated into German from the respective EU country of origin.

    If you report the supplier activity voluntarily:

    • Copy of the authorization to start supplying energy to others in accordance with the old version of the Energy Industry Act


  • Form, Bavaria-wide: Formular zur Lieferantenanzeige
    Please note

    This form requires no signature. You can sent it electronically (e.g. by secure email or De-Mail) or as hardcopy to the responsible authority.

Online procedures


  • There are no costs.


not applicable


Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Klimaschutz

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.