Certificate of good conduct; application for a simple certificate of good conduct
If you need a certificate of good conduct for official or private purposes, you can apply for one at your local municipality or electronically at the online portal of the Federal Office of Justice.
The certificate of good conduct is an extract, in particular about criminal convictions, which you can apply for from the age of 14 at your local authority / registration office (Bürgerbüro) or via the online portal of the Federal Office of Justice (see "Online procedure").
If you apply for a certificate of good conduct for submission to a public authority, it will be sent directly to the authority. However, you, as the applicant, can be granted access to the certificate of good conduct upon request.
You can apply for a simple certificate of good conduct in person, in writing or electronically.
- If you apply in person at the municipality, you must present your passport or identity card.
- To apply electronically via the online portal of the Federal Office of Justice (see "Online procedure"), you need either a new ID card, an eID card with a domestic address or an electronic residence permit, in each case with the online ID function activated.
- If you are submitting a written application , your signature must be certified by a seal authority. Public certification by a notary public is also possible. Furthermore, you must state the purpose for which the certificate of good conduct is to be used. Information on certification can be found under "Further links".
It is not possible to submit an application through an authorized representative.
Important instructions for service providers
- Bei dieser Dienstleistung handelt es sich um ein überwachungsbedürftiges Gewerbe nach § 38 Gewerbeordnung. Sie müssen daher unverzüglich ein Führungszeugnis zur Vorlage bei der Behörden nach § 30 Abs. 5 Bundeszentralregistergesetz beantragen.
- completion of the 14th year of life
- in the event of legal incapacity, the application must be submitted by the legal representative, if applicable
The following general explanations can be given regarding the certificate of good conduct:
- Convictions of offenders appear not only in the Federal Central Register, but also in the certificate of good conduct, which any person over the age of 14 can apply for at his or her registration office.
- However, there are a number of exceptions to the entry in the certificate of good conduct, e.g. the following:
- Provided that no other punishment is entered in the register, a conviction of up to 90 daily fines or up to three months' imprisonment will not be entered in the certificate of good conduct (but it will be entered in the central register, from which, however, only certain authorities receive information).
- Juvenile sentences of up to 2 years are also not included if they are suspended.
- There are also erasure periods for the certificate of good conduct; they are generally shorter than for the Federal Central Register (between 3 and 20 years, depending on the type of conviction).
approx. 2 - 3 weeks
when applying in person: presentation of passport or identity card
if the application is submitted electronically: identity card or electronic residence permit with activated online ID function in each case
in case of written application: official or publicly certified signature
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Exemption from fees: In the case of indigence (e.g. recipients of unemployment benefit II, social welfare recipients, recipients of the child supplement according to § 6a of the Federal Child Benefit Act) or if the certificate of good conduct is required for a special purpose. This is assumed to be the case if the certificate of good conduct is required for a voluntary activity in a non-profit or comparable institution (for exemption from fees, see also "Further links").
If the application is submitted electronically, proof of indigence must be provided electronically.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited