Residence; Registration

When you move into an apartment, you must register with the relevant registration office (municipality or city) within two weeks.


When you move into an apartment, you are obliged to register with the relevant registration office (municipality or city) within two weeks. This also applies if you move within your municipality or city.

To do this, you must complete and sign a registration form and submit it to the registration office together with your identity card, recognised and valid passport or passport replacement document and the confirmation of your housing provider or the corresponding assignment feature. If the registration register is kept automatically, you may be exempted from completing the registration form if you appear in person at the registration office and confirm the correctness and completeness of the data collected by the registration office by signing a printout. You can also be represented at the registration by a person presenting the required documents (registration documents and power of attorney).

Spouses, civil partners and family members with the same previous and future residences should use a joint registration form; it is sufficient if one of the persons required to register makes the registration.

Persons up to the age of 16 must be registered by their legal representative. If a person moves into the home of a legal guardian, it is sufficient if the legal guardian carries out the registration.

Newborns born in Germany are only to be registered if they are taken into a dwelling other than that of the parents or the mother.

If a guardian or custodian has been appointed for a person of full age who can determine the residence, the registration is incumbent on him or her.

If you do not register within two weeks, you are acting irregularly. In this case, you can be fined up to 1,000 euros.


Actual occupation of the new dwelling (this dwelling will be used permanently or at least with some regularity, mainly for living and sleeping).


Registration must take place within two weeks of moving in.

Required documents

  • ausgefüllter und unterschriebener Meldeschein

    (Meldeschein ist bei der Meldebörde erhältlich)

  • Personalausweis oder Reisepass (zur Wohnort- bzw. Anschriftenänderung)
  • Wohnungsgeberbestätigung


  • none

Status: 17.05.2021

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.