Residence; Registration

If you move into an apartment, you must register with the relevant registration office (municipality, city or administrative community) within two weeks.


When you move into an apartment, you are required to register with the relevant registration office (municipality, city or administrative community) within two weeks. This also applies if you move within your municipality or city.

To do this, you must fill out and sign a registration form and submit it to the registration office together with your identity card, recognized and valid passport or passport replacement document, and confirmation from your housing provider or the corresponding assignment feature. If the registration register is kept automatically, you may be exempted from filling in the registration form if you appear in person at the registration office and confirm the correctness and completeness of the data collected at the registration office on a printout by signing it. You can also be represented at the registration by a person presenting the required documents (registration documents and power of attorney).

Spouses, civil partners and family members with the same previous and future residences should use a joint registration form; it is sufficient if one of the persons required to register makes the registration.

Persons under 16 years of age must be registered by the person into whose dwelling the persons under 16 years of age move. If a minor has several dwellings in Germany, the main dwelling is the dwelling predominantly used by the person or persons with legal guardianship.

Newborns born in Germany are to be registered only if they are admitted to a dwelling other than that of the parents or mother.

If a guardian or custodian has been appointed for a person of full age who can determine the residence, the registration is incumbent on him or her.

If you do not register within two weeks, you are acting irregularly. In this case, you can be fined up to 1,000 euros.


Actual occupation of the new apartment (this apartment will be used permanently or at least with some regularity, primarily for living and sleeping).


Registration must be made within two weeks of moving in.

Required documents

  • completed and signed form for registration at the registration office (Meldeschein)

    (Registration form is available at the registration office)

  • Identity card or passport (for change of residence or address)


  • none

Status: 25.04.2023

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.