Skilled crafts and trades; Establishing the requirement for registration of the skilled craft or trade
The authorization for self-employed (independent) operation of a skilled craft or trade liable to a license, or a license-free skilled craft or trade, or a craft-like trade or business with a fixed location is regulated by the German Handicrafts Regulation Act.
The German Handicrafts Regulation Act (HwO) distinguishes between two categories of skilled trades:
- All skilled crafts and trades liable to a license which are listed in Appendix A to the German Handicrafts Regulation Act require a registration in the Register of Craftsmen (for further details on the prerequisites for registration please go to "Related Issues" under "Register of Craftsmen"; registration as a trade or business with a fixed location").
- Any license-free skilled crafts and trades and craft-like trades or businesses listed in Appendix B to the German Handicrafts Regulation Act may be practiced without any special qualifications. They require notification to the Chamber of Crafts and Skilled Trades (for further notification details please go to "Related Issues" under "Trade Law; notification of a license-free skilled craft or trade or a craft-like trade or business").
Separate regulations apply to the temporary or occasional provision of services in a skilled craft or trade liable to a license without a branch office in Germany by citizens of EU Member States or peers (for further details please go to "Related Issues" under "Trade Law; notification of cross-border provision of services").
To find out whether or not your venture requires a registration under trade law, please complete the information sheet and forward it to your Point of Single Contact or your competent Chamber of Crafts and Skilled Trades. They will be happy to advise you of the formalities required in your specific case.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited