Pharmaceuticals; application for a wholesale trade permit
The issuance of a wholesale permit is necessary if, for example, companies want to procure, store, dispense or export pharmaceuticals on a professional or commercial basis (exception: dispensing to consumers other than physicians, dentists, veterinarians or hospitals).
The requirements result from § 52a AMG:
With the application, the applicant must
- specify the specific premises as well as the activities and the medicinal products for which the authorization is to be granted,
- submit evidence that he has suitable and sufficient premises, equipment and facilities to ensure proper storage and distribution and, where provided, proper decanting, packaging and labeling of medicinal products,
- designate a responsible person who possesses the expertise required to perform the activity; and
- attach a declaration in which he undertakes in writing to comply with the regulations applicable to the proper operation of a wholesale business.
Informal application to the responsible government (Upper Franconia or Upper Bavaria); they decide on the application. Other authorities are involved ex officio, if at all.
Exempt from the licensing requirement are finished medicinal products released for circulation outside pharmacies, which may be dispensed in the travel trade (cf. Section 52a (1) of the German Medicines Act).
There are no deadlines for the application. It is important to note that wholesale trading may not commence before the permit has been granted (see under "Prerequisites").
Legal deadline, if all documents and information are complete, max. 90 days.
Description of the establishment
Site plan of the premises
evidence of suitable and adequate premises, plant and equipment in which the wholesale trade is to take place
Certificate of good conduct of the managing director and the responsible person
Written declaration and undertaking to comply with the provisions applicable to the proper operation of a wholesale trade
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide:
Formloser Antrag (mit Unterschrift)
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
A fee of between €500 and €20,000 is set on the basis of the time and material administrative expense incurred and the importance of the matter for the applicant (according to Schedule of Costs - Tariff No. 7.IX.8/Tariff item 1.1.4). This also includes expenses for necessary site inspections by our pharmaceutical officials (according to the schedule of costs - tariff no. 7.IX.8/ tariff item 1.2).
The costs (fees and expenses) are to be borne by the applicant.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit, Pflege und Prävention
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited