Physicians and psychotherapists in rural areas; application for the rural physician premium.
The Free State of Bavaria grants a premium for the establishment of physicians, the foundation of medical care centers (MVZ) and the formation of branches in regions with poorer medical care.
Purpose and aim of the rural physician premium
Sufficient outpatient medical care close to home is largely guaranteed in Bavaria. Due to unfavorable developments of infrastructural and socio-demographic factors, in particular in the case of an accumulation of special challenges, such as the coincidence of an aging population with an increased need for medical care and at the same time an aging medical profession as well as unfavorable accessibility and mobility situation, an insufficient medical care can occur in individual cases. For these regions, which are often rural in character, it is often more difficult to recruit enough physicians to work as contract physicians in order to stabilize the supply situation in the long term. The rural physician premium is intended to provide financial compensation for these special challenges and thus encourage the decision to set up a practice, establish medical care centers (MVZs) and set up branches in the rural physician premium area.
Recipients of the grant
Recipients of the rural physician premium can be the following physician groups:
- Family doctor
- ENT doctor
- Child and adolescent psychiatrist.
Amount of the premium
The amount of the rural physician premium for a branch office of physicians or for the establishment of an MVZ is up to 60,000 euros. In the case of the formation of a branch, the amount of the rural doctor premium is up to 15 000 euros. The amount of the rural doctor's premium for a branch office of psychotherapists and for the establishment of an MVZ with the specialty of psychotherapy is up to 20 000 euros. In the case of the formation of a branch in the specialty of psychotherapy, the amount of the rural physician premium is up to 5 000 euros in each case.
- The establishment must take place in the Landarztprämiengebiet.
- The Landarztprämiengebiet (rural physician premium area) is any planning area in Bavaria for which no restrictions on admission pursuant to Section 103 Para. 1 SGB V have been ordered by the Land Committee, unless exceptions are possible pursuant to Section 100 Para. 3 SGB V, Section 101 Para. 1 Sentence 8 and Para. 4 Sentences 5 and 6 SGB V or Section 103 Para. 2 Sentence 4 SGB V despite the restrictions on admission. An exception also exists if the admission restrictions ordered for the planning area would have to be lifted in the next regular meeting of the state committee without the intended practice succession pursuant to Section 103 Para. 3a and 4 SGB V or if an immediate serious local supply deficit would arise and sufficient co-supply of the local population by other physicians participating in SHI-accredited medical care would not be possible or reasonable.
In addition, the rural physician premium guideline requires that
- physicians of the physician group of child and adolescent psychiatrists are located in a Bavarian municipality with a population of 40,000 or less, or
- physicians belonging to the other groups of physicians establish themselves or form a branch office in a Bavarian municipality with a population of no more than 20,000,
- the commencement of medical practice (cut-off date) has taken place and the application for the rural physician premium has been submitted within six months of the cut-off date at the latest,
- the recipient of the rural physician premium undertakes to maintain the medical activity, for which the requested premium is granted, at the place of practice for at least 60 months from the cut-off date and to actually carry out the medical activity during this period to the extent requested at the place of practice in the rural physician premium area specified in the application (commitment period).
The application must be submitted in writing to the Bavarian Health Agency at the Bavarian State Office for Health and Food Safety. The agency examines the application and issues the decision if the result is positive.
The establishment, formation of a branch or foundation of the MVZ must be in accordance with the physician requirement planning and the decision on admission must have been made.
- 4 - 8 weeks
- In individual cases, e.g. if it is necessary to obtain external opinions, longer processing times may result.
Antragsformular der Landarztprämie
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited