Physicians and psychotherapists in rural areas; application for the rural physician premium.
The Free State of Bavaria grants a premium for the establishment of physicians, the foundation of medical care centers (MVZ) and the formation of branches in regions with poorer medical care.
Purpose and aim of the rural physician premium
Sufficient outpatient medical care close to home is largely guaranteed in Bavaria. Due to unfavorable developments of infrastructural and socio-demographic factors, in particular in the case of an accumulation of special challenges, such as the coincidence of an aging population with an increased need for medical care and at the same time an aging medical profession as well as unfavorable accessibility and mobility situation, an insufficient medical care can occur in individual cases. For these regions, which are often rural in character, it is often more difficult to recruit enough physicians to work as contract physicians in order to stabilize the supply situation in the long term. The rural physician premium is intended to provide financial compensation for these special challenges and thus encourage the decision to set up a practice, establish medical care centers (MVZs) and set up branches in the rural physician premium area.
Recipients of the grant
Recipients of the rural physician premium can be the following physician groups:
- Family doctor
- ENT doctor
- Child and adolescent psychiatrist.
Amount of the premium
- The amount of the rural physician premium for a branch office of psychotherapists as well as for the establishment of an MVZ with the specialty of psychotherapy is up to 20,000 euros. In the case of the formation of a branch, the rural doctor premium is up to 5,000 euros.
- The amount of the rural physician premium for a branch office of physicians or in the case of the establishment of an MVZ with one of the above-mentioned groups of physicians (except psychotherapy) is up to 60,000 euros. In the case of the formation of a branch, the rural physician premium is up to 15,000 euros.
- The establishment must take place in the Landarztprämiengebiet.
- Landarztprämiengebiet is any planning area of the demand plan of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians of Bavaria (planning area) for which no admission restrictions according to Section 103 Para. 1 SGB V have been ordered by the State Committee of Physicians and Health Insurance Funds in Bavaria, unless exceptions according to Section 100 Para. 3 SGB V, Section 101 Para. 1 Sentence 8 and Para. 4 Sentences 5 and 6 SGB V or Section 103 Para. 2 Sentence 4 SGB V are possible despite the admission restrictions. An exception also exists if the admission restrictions ordered for the planning area would have to be lifted in the next regular meeting of the state committee without the intended practice succession pursuant to Section 103 Para. 3a and 4 SGB V or if an immediate serious local supply deficit would arise and sufficient co-supply of the local population by other physicians participating in SHI-accredited medical care would not be possible or reasonable.
In addition, the rural physician premium guideline requires that
- physicians of the physician group of child and adolescent psychiatrists are located in a Bavarian municipality with a population of 40,000 or less, or
- physicians belonging to the other groups of physicians settle, form a branch or establish an MVZ in a Bavarian municipality with a population of no more than 20,000,
- the commencement of medical practice (cut-off date) has taken place and the application for the rural physician premium has been submitted within six months of the cut-off date at the latest,
- the recipient of the rural physician premium undertakes to maintain the medical activity, for which the premium applied for is granted, at the place of practice for at least 60 months from the reference date and to actually carry out the medical activity during this period to the extent applied for at the place of practice in the rural physician premium area specified in the application (commitment period).
The application must be submitted electronically via the Bavarian form server (IT-DLZ) using the application form provided there.
From 01.04.2023, registration/application via the Bayern-ID, or the online ID card function of the ID card is required.
You can find notes and information on the individual registration procedures (BayernID or online ID card function) under "Further links".
The establishment, formation of a branch or foundation of the MVZ must be in accordance with the physician requirement planning and the decision on admission must have been made.
The application must be submitted within six months of the commencement of medical practice and the application must be received by the State Office for Health and Food Safety within this period.
The processing time is usually about 4 - 6 weeks.
an extract from the register of physicians of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (KVB), date of printing after the beginning of medical practice
the decision under licensing law on the applicant's activity as an SHI-accredited physician or the establishment of an MVZ
If necessary, further individual documents
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited