Real estate loan broker; application for a permit

If you want to broker or advise on real estate loans on a commercial basis, you need a permit to do so.


Among other things, you must prove that you are reliable and have the required expertise and professional liability insurance.

Permission may be granted to natural persons and legal entities.

If you employ staff who are involved in brokering or consulting or are employed by you in a managerial position for this purpose, you must ensure that these employees are also competent and reliable.

The permit can be restricted in terms of content and linked to ancillary provisions if, in the opinion of the authority, this is necessary to protect the general public or the borrowers.

In addition to applying for the permit, you must also be entered in the Register of Intermediaries. You can usually submit the application for this at the same time as the application for permission.


  • Personal reliability, i.e. you have not been convicted of a criminal offense in the past five years
  • Orderly financial circumstances
  • Professional liability insurance or an equivalent guarantee
  • Expertise
  • Principal place of business or head office in Germany and commercial activity in Germany


You must apply for permission to act as a real estate loan broker before you can start your business.

  • You first submit an application including all supporting documents
  • As a rule, you can also apply for entry in the register of intermediaries at this stage.
  • The responsible office checks whether you meet the requirements
  • If you meet all the requirements, the permit is issued.

You must also be entered in the register of intermediaries at the latest when you start working as an intermediary.


The permit is valid for an unlimited period of time.

Processing time

Processing usually takes a few weeks once all documents are complete.

Required documents

  • The following documents are required:

    • Proof of personal reliability, such as a certificate of good conduct for submission to a public authority and an extract from the Central Trade Register.
    • Proof of orderly financial circumstances, such as an excerpt from the debtors' register of the enforcement court and information from the insolvency court
    • Proof of professional liability insurance or an equivalent guarantee
    • Proof of expertise: certificate of having passed an examination or proof of relevant professional qualification
    • Extract from the commercial register in the case of legal entities and commercial partnerships


  • Fees are incurred. The exact amount can be found in the fee schedule of the competent authority.



Links to more information


Responsible for editing:Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag e.V.

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.