You want to work as an assessment body in the railroad sector? Then you must have yourself recognized by the Federal Railway Authority (EBA) as an Independent Assessment Body (UBS). In your application, you can also limit yourself to a selection of the fields of activity and expertise listed below.
Independent Assessment Body (UBS)
Independent Assessment Bodies assess the processes and results of risk management procedures in the railroad sector. Risk management procedures are carried out in accordance with the European safety method for risk assessment. UBS prepare safety assessment reports.
UBS reviews the documents and then performs an independent assessment of suitability. The evaluation focuses on both the application and the results of the risk management procedure in the following areas:
- Rail vehicles,
- for example, running gear, wheelset, braking equipment, vehicle structure/strength.
- for example structural engineering, structural engineering and level crossings.
- for example, traction current switchgear, track rectifier plants, converter plants, catenary systems.
- Train control, train protection, signaling,
- for example, level crossing technology, radio systems, interlocking technology.
- For example, rules for conducting operations and legal obligations, operating the infrastructure, organizational requirements.
- Maintenance of rolling stock,
- for example legal standards as well as maintenance regulations, environmental protection, joining technology and NDT.
Recognition as UBS
UBS can be individuals as well as organizations.
For example, the following can apply for recognition as a UBS:
- Railroad transport companies,
- railroad infrastructure companies,
The recognition as a UBS is valid for a maximum of 5 years. You can extend it for another 5 years. Their recognition as UBS is reported by EBA to the European Railway Agency (ERA) and published in the database of the European Union Agency for Railway Interoperability and Safety (ERADIS).
Recognized UBS are regularly monitored by the EBA.