Psychotherapist; application for licensure in case of training in a third country

Psychotherapists can apply for a license to practice psychotherapy if they have completed psychotherapeutic training outside an EU member state, an EEA member state or Switzerland and wish to practice psychotherapy in Bavaria.


If you want to work as a psychotherapist in Germany, you need a special professional license for this - the Approbation.

If you have completed psychotherapeutic training and want to work as a psychotherapist in Bavaria, the Government of Upper Bavaria is responsible for Bavaria as a whole.


Approbation is subject to various requirements relating to successful completion of training as a psychotherapist and personal and health suitability for practicing the profession.

Applicants who have completed their training outside the European Union and the European Economic Area can - provided all other requirements are met - only be granted an Approbation if they have an equivalent level of training.

If the equivalence of the level of training is not given or if it can only be determined with unreasonable time or material effort, an equivalent level of knowledge must be proven. This proof is provided by passing a knowledge test that covers the content of the state final examination.


The application for licensure is not bound by any time limit.

Required documents

  • Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register

    (certified copy)

  • if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)

    (certified copy)

  • valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)

    (certified copy)

  • complete and personally signed curriculum vitae

    (tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)

  • Proof of exemption from punishment

    • Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
    • The criminal record excerpts must not be older than three months at the time of their submission.
    • A certified copy of each of these extracts must be submitted.

  • Proof of your completed education (certified copy)

    • Proof of education such as diploma
    • If applicable, further country-specific certificates
    • Overview of subjects completed during studies with number of hours and grades
    • If applicable, proof of compulsory internships completed

  • Proof of authorisation to practise medicine in the country of training and/or the country of origin

    (certified copy)

  • if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)

    (Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been exercised in the last five years. This certificate must not be older than three months at the time of its presentation).

  • If applicable, evidence of activity in the medical profession (e.g. certificates of employment and further training).

    (original or certified copy)

  • Curriculum/study book, if applicable

    (in original)

  • Proof of required German language skills (certified copy)

    (A certificate from an ALTE-certified language institute at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) must be presented).

  • On separate request:

    • Certificate of good conduct of document type "O
      • If the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a residence in Germany.
      • In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Approbation as a psychotherapist". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
      • It must not be older than one month when presented.
    • Medical certificate (original)
      • It must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or a doctor specialising in internal medicine who is established in Germany or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and must bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.
      • It must not be older than three months at the time of presentation.


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.

  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide: Ärztliches Attest
    Please note

    This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.

Online procedures


  • If you have not acquired your education in an EU/EEA state or Switzerland and the equivalence of your level of education or knowledge must be verified, 280 to 500 EUR must be paid for the license to practice medicine.


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.