Aquaculture production business; application for a permit or registration
If you breed, keep or keep fish, you are obliged to register or have your business approved by your competent veterinary office without being asked to do so.
An "aquaculture production business" is any business engaged in an activity related to the breeding, rearing or keeping of fish.
Regardless of whether it is a full-time, part-time or supplementary business or a private hobby.
- aquaculture businesses that produce fish for human consumption or sell large quantities of fish for human consumption (also on a supra-regional basis) as well as
- processing plants in which fish from aquacultures are killed as part of disease control measures,
a permit issued by the competent veterinary authority.
The application for authorisation must contain the following information:
- the name and address of the operator
- the location and size of the establishment
- number of ponds
- Water supply
- Inflow quantity
- Animal species kept and their use
- description of the measures taken to prevent the spread of diseases
- if applicable, information on the treatment of waste water
The following establishments are only subject to registration with the competent veterinary office:
- Establishments keeping fish which are not intended to be placed on the market, e.g. zoological establishments.
- Establishments which supply fish from their own aquaculture in small quantities (the direct supply of small (household) quantities includes self-reared fish supplied as live, slaughtered or processed food fish) exclusively for human consumption directly to the final consumer or to local retail establishments (no intermediate trade), as well as
- operators of angling ponds (ponds in which fish are stocked exclusively for recreational angling).
The following information must be provided for notification of operation:
- Name and address of the operator
- Location and size of the facility
- Number of ponds
- Water supply
- Inflow quantity
- Fish species kept and their use
They must apply to the competent Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry for the issuing of a farm number with the farm type "fish farmer". Fish farmers who already have a 12-digit number, for example because they are also operators of a farm or other livestock farmers, must also register with the Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry and have the farm type "fish farmer" assigned to them in addition. Only after this farm number has been assigned can the application for approval or registration be submitted.
The Fish Disease Ordinance does not apply
- to fish kept in aquaria for ornamental purposes only, and
- to wild fish which are fished or caught for direct use as food.
The operation of aquaculture without an official permit or without registration is subject to a fine.
The authorisation and registration of a fish farm shall be carried out prior to the commencement of the relevant activity.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited