Aquaculture operation; application for permit or registration.

If you breed, keep or keep fish, you have the obligation to register or have your farm approved by your competent veterinary office without being asked to do so.


An "aquaculture business" is any business that engages in an activity related to the breeding, rearing or keeping of fish.

Regardless of whether it is a main business, a sideline or an additional business, or a private hobby, aquaculture farms that produce set fish or sell large quantities of fish for consumption are required.

  • Aquaculture businesses that produce set fish or sell edible fish in large quantities (also supra-regionally) as well as
  • processing plants in which fish from aquacultures are killed in the context of disease control,

a permit issued by the competent veterinary office.

The application for a permit must contain the following information:

  • Name and address of the operator
  • location and size of the facility
  • Number of ponds
  • Water supply
  • Inflow quantity
  • Animal species kept and their use
  • description of the measures taken to prevent the spread of diseases
  • if applicable, information on the treatment of waste water

The following establishments are only subject to registration with the competent veterinary office:

  • Establishments that keep fish that are not intended to be placed on the market, e.g., zoological institutions
  • Establishments that supply fish from their own aquaculture in small quantities (the direct supply of small (household) quantities includes self-reared fish supplied as live, slaughtered or processed food fish) exclusively for human consumption directly to the end consumer or to local retail establishments (no intermediate trade) as well as
  • Operators of fishing ponds (ponds in which fish are stocked exclusively for recreational fishing).

The following information must be provided for notification of operation:

  • Name and address of the operator
  • Location and size of the facility
  • Number of ponds
  • Water supply
  • Inflow quantity
  • Fish species kept and their use


They must apply to the responsible Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry for the issuance of a farm number with the farm type "fish farmer". Fish farmers who already have a 12-digit number, for example because they are also operators of a farm or other livestock farmers at the same time, must also register with the Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry and have the farm type "fish farmer" assigned to them in addition. Only after this farm number has been assigned can the application for approval or registration be submitted.

Special notes

The Fish Disease Ordinance does not apply

  • to fish kept in aquaria for ornamental purposes only, and
  • to wild fish that are fished or caught for direct use as food.

The operation of an aquaculture without an official permit or without registration is subject to a fine.


Permission and registration of a fish farm must be obtained before the start of the respective activity.


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.