To renew an FI certificate, at least 2 of the following 3 requirements must be met:
- Flight instruction
- Airplane pilot FI(A) and helicopter pilot FI(H): at least 50 hours of flight instruction in the corresponding aircraft category during the validity period of the rating as FI, CRI, TRI or as examiner
- Glider pilot FI(S): at least 30 hours or 60 starts of flight instruction in gliders or touring motor gliders
- Free balloon pilot FI(B): at least 6 hours of flight instruction in balloons
- participation in a refresher seminar for instructors within the validity period of the instructor rating
- Successful completion of a competency assessment (within the twelve months prior to the expiration of the rating).
For at least every second subsequent renewal in the case of FI(A) or FI(H), or every third renewal in the case of FI(As), (S) and (B), the holder must pass a competency assessment.
To renew an expired instructor rating, the last two of the above requirements must have been met within the 12 months preceding the date of application.
To renew a CRI certificate, the applicant must, within the 12 months preceding the expiration date of the CRI certificate:
- Complete at least 10 hours of flight instruction in the role of a CRI. If the applicant holds CRI privileges for both single-engine and multi-engine aircraft, the 10 hours of flight instruction must be evenly divided between single-engine and multi-engine aircraft, or
- Have received refresher training as a CRI with an ATO, or
- Have passed the competency assessment in accordance with FCL.935 for multi-engine and single-engine aircraft, respectively.
To renew an expired instructor rating CRI, the last two of the above requirements must have been met within the 12 months prior to application.