Driving instructor's license; application for recognition of foreign professional qualification
You would like to work as a driving instructor in Germany? Then you need a driving instructor's license. You can also obtain a driving instructor's license in Germany with a professional qualification from abroad.
Working as a driving instructor is regulated in Germany. This means that in order to be allowed to work in this profession, you need a driving instructor's license. Only with this permit are you allowed to train people to drive vehicles.
You can also obtain a driving instructor's license with a professional qualification from abroad. To do so, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognized. In the recognition procedure, the competent body (an authority) compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the issuance of the driving instructor license.
In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must meet other requirements for the issuance of the driving instructor license.
It is irrelevant what nationality you have or in which country you acquired your professional qualification.
You can also submit the application from abroad.
- You have a professional qualification as a driving instructor from abroad.
- You are at least 21 years old.
- You are mentally and physically suitable.
- You are professionally and pedagogically suitable.
- You have a valid driving license.
- They have not violated the requirements for driving instructors.
- You have the necessary German language skills to teach driving students.
- You want to work in the profession in Germany.
- You submit an "Application for a Driving Instructor Permit" to the competent office.
- For professional qualifications from the EU/EEA/Switzerland: You can submit the application and documents directly to the competent body or to the Single Point of Contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Single Point of Contact.
- The competent body will then check whether you meet all the requirements. One important requirement is your professional qualification.
- The competent body then compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognized. You still have to fulfill the other requirements and prove your language skills. Then you will receive the driving instructor license as a written document.
- If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognized. You will then receive a written notice about the differences in your professional qualification.
- If your professional qualification is not equivalent, you can choose between an aptitude test and an adaptation course to compensate for the differences.
- In the aptitude test, only the differences that the competent body has determined are examined. The aptitude test consists of a written and oral examination. You will also have to hold teaching tests in theoretical and practical driving lessons.
- The adaptation course is a practical post-qualification and lasts a maximum of 3 years. In the adaptation course, you must complete written practice work and give theoretical and practical lessons.
- If you complete the adaptation course or pass the aptitude test (and meet all other requirements), you will receive the driving instructor's license as a written document.
- You can take legal action against the decision of the competent body. The decision will then be reviewed. Details of how to do this can be found in the appeal instructions at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.
- Freedom to provide services
You can also work temporarily and occasionally on a self-employed basis as a service provider in Germany. In that case, a corresponding endorsement will be entered in your driving instructor's license. However, special conditions apply: You must report your work to the competent office before you start working. The competent office will inform you in detail about the procedure.
- Procedure for late repatriates
As a late repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the law mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. You can decide this yourself. Your competent office will advise you on this.
Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The responsible office will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.
The competent office will confirm that your documents have arrived after a maximum of one month. The competent office will also inform you if any documents are missing.
If the documents are complete, the procedure takes a maximum of 3 months. In individual cases, the competent body may extend the procedure by one month.
The responsible office will tell you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:
- Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
- officially certified copy of your proof of qualification to work as a driving instructor or teacher
- valid driver's license for the corresponding driving classes
- If the work as a driving instructor is not regulated in your home country: a certificate that you have worked as a driving instructor for at least 2 years in the last 10 years
- Proof of your personal reliability. This proof must be from an authority in the state of your professional qualification. This can be a criminal record or a Certificate of Good Standing. (The proof should be no more than 3 months old at the time of application).
- Proof of your mental and physical health from the state of your professional qualification. Proof must demonstrate that you are qualified to work as a driving instructor. (The proof should be no more than 3 months old at the time of application).
Your home state may not be able to issue the evidence of your personal reliability or mental and physical health. In that case, you can replace these documents with an affirmation in lieu of an oath. The competent office will inform you of this.
The competent office will tell you which documents you have to submit as originals or copies. If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.
The responsible office will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.
Additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations and certifications). These costs vary individually.
The issuance of the driving instructor's license and a driving instructor's license costs 40.90 EUR.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited