Bar association; application for admission as a European lawyer
The permanent establishment of a European lawyer to practice in Germany requires admission to a German bar association.
Nationals of the Member States of the European Union, of the other Contracting States to the Agreement on the European Economic Area and of Switzerland who are entitled to practice as a self-employed lawyer under one of the professional titles listed in the Annex to the Law on the Activities of European Lawyers in Germany (EuRAG) (European lawyers) may establish themselves permanently in Germany to practice as a practicing European lawyer under the professional title of the State of origin. A
European lawyer is a person who is entitled to use one (or more) of the following professional titles
- in Belgium: Avocat/Advocaat/Lawyer
- in Bulgaria: Адвокат (advocate)
- in Denmark: Advokat
- in Estonia: Vandeadvokaat
- in Finland: Asianajaja / Advokat
- in France: Avocat
- in Greece: Δικηγόρος (dikigoros)
- in Great Britain: Advocate / Barrister / Solicitor
- in Ireland: Barrister / Solicitor
- in Iceland: Lögmaur
- in Italy: Avvocato
- in Croatia: Odvjetnik
- in Latvia: Zverinats advokats
- in Liechtenstein: Rechtsanwalt
- in Lithuania: Advokatas
- in Luxembourg: Avocat
- in Malta: Avukat / Prokuratur Legali
- in the Netherlands: Advocaat
- in Norway: Advokat
- in Austria: Rechtsanwalt
- in Poland: Adwokat/Radca prawny
- in Portugal: Advogado
- in Romania: Avocat
- in Sweden: Advoakt
- in Switzerland: Advokat, Rechtsanwalt, Anwalt, Fürsprecher, Fürsprech / Avocat / Avvocato
- in Slovakia: Advokát / Komerèný právnik
- in Slovenia: Odvetnik / Odvetnica
- in Spain: Abogado / Advocat / Avogado / Abokatu
- in the Czech Republic: Advokát
- in Hungary: Ügyvéd
- in Cyprus: Δικηγόρος (Dikigoros).
The application for admission to the Bar must be addressed to the Bar in whose district the applicant wishes to settle.
The prerequisite for admission to a German bar association is the presentation of a certificate from the competent body in the home country confirming membership of the legal profession.
Established European lawyers must observe the German professional obligations and use the professional title which they are entitled to use in their home country under the law of that country. Those who are entitled to use the professional title "Rechtsanwalt" thereafter (such as in Austria) must additionally indicate the professional organization to which they belong in their home state (e.g. Vienna Bar Association).
At the same time, established European lawyers may use the designation "member of the Bar" in professional dealings, but not the designation "European lawyer".
- The fee for admission to the Bar is 250 euros. In addition, there is an annual chamber fee set by the respective bar association (about 200 to 300 euros per year).
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium der Justiz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited