The operation of a flight school for the training of light aircraft, glider, balloon and private pilots (without instrument rating) must be declared by the training organization.
Flight training may only be conducted in approved or declared training organizations (flight schools).
In Bavaria, the Air Offices of Northern Bavaria and Southern Bavaria are responsible for training organizations for the training of light aircraft, glider, balloon and private pilots (without instrument rating).
The declaration of the training organization as Declared Training Organization (DTO) must contain the following:
- Name and place of business of the training organization
- Details of the representative and training manager
- Name and address of the aerodromes and/or operating sites where the training is to be conducted
- List of aircraft operated for the training
- List of flight simulation training devices (FSTDs) that the training organization intends to use, if applicable
- Scope of training with training programs that the training organization intends to conduct
The DTO must have its principal place of business in a member state of the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). When conducting flight training on an aircraft, the DTO may only use airfields or operating sites that have suitable facilities and characteristics for the relevant flight training with regard to the training offered and the aircraft types and categories used.
Operation at different airfields is possible if the necessary personnel and facilities are provided.
Each DTO shall designate a responsible representative and a training officer. Both positions may be held by one person. The responsibilities and duties of the responsible representative and the training manager can be found in DTO.GEN.210. Additionally, it should be noted that for the period within the last 5 years prior to reporting a training facility:
- there must be no knowledge that a license or rating, has been revoked, suspended, or placed in abeyance
- there must be no known circumstances that are not in accordance with the Basic Regulation and further implementing regulations.
It is also a requirement that the instructor hold a valid FI teaching authorization, which is not restricted. Theory instructors employed by the DTO must have either.
- Have a practical aviation background in the areas relevant to the training and must have completed a training course in instructional techniques, or
- Must demonstrate experience in teaching theory and an appropriate background in theory knowledge in the subject in which they will be teaching theory.
Instructors employed by the DTO to provide practical training shall possess the qualifications required by Part-FCL for the type of training they are providing. Accordingly, they must hold the appropriate license, rating, and teaching privileges.
The declaration must be addressed to the competent authority. In Germany, this is the aviation authority of the federal state in which the DTO has its principal place of business.
If the training takes place on a turbine aircraft, the Luftfahrt-Bundesamt (LBA) is the competent authority. Training activity in several EASA member states as a DTO is possible. A DTO cannot offer training outside the member states of EASA.
The Airworthiness Authority checks on the basis of the available information and documents whether the relevant requirements are fulfilled by the training organization.
Compliance with the legal requirements is regularly verified by the authority through supervisory activities by means of inspections and audits.
The declaration as a Declared Training Organization (DTO) must be submitted before the start of the training activity. After submission of the declaration, the training activity may begin.
Evidence of personnel
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide:
Erklärung zur DTO (Declared Training Organisation)
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
- approx. 150,00 - 300,00 EUR
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr