Engineer; application for permission to use the professional title

If you would like to use the professional title "Ingenieurin" or "Ingenieur" in Germany, but have completed the associated training abroad, you need a permit to use the professional title.


According to the Bavarian Engineering Act (BayIngG), the professional title of "engineer" (alone or in a combination of words) may be used by anyone who has successfully completed an undergraduate degree (usually a bachelor's degree) at a state or state-recognized German university. This must be a course of study

  • in a technical/scientific field of study,
  • which has a standard period of study of at least six semesters in full-time and with which at least 180 points can be acquired when applying the ECTS system and
  • in which the fields of mathematics, information technology, natural sciences and technology predominate; this requirement does not apply to the use of the professional title exclusively in the word combination industrial engineer by persons who have completed an undergraduate degree in industrial engineering.

Furthermore, the professional title may be used by

  • who has obtained the authorization to do so after training abroad,
  • who is entitled to do so under the law of another country of the Federal Republic of Germany, or
  • who was entitled to do so until the entry into force of this Act.


The prerequisite for permission is the equivalence of the training, which is based on the Bavarian Engineering Act and the Bavarian Professional Qualification Determination Act.

The equivalence is checked on the basis of the foreign diploma and subject catalog; the Central Office for Foreign Education in Bonn provides technical support.

Copies of the diploma and subject catalog are required as documents for the examination. The translations must be done by a translator who is publicly appointed or sworn in Germany or in the EU.


If you have completed your training abroad, you must apply to the competent body for authorization to use the professional title "engineer".

  • The responsible body for engineers specializing in civil engineering, building and supply engineering or surveying is the Bavarian Chamber of Engineers - Construction.
  • The Government of Swabia is responsible for engineers of all other disciplines.

Special notes

You can also work as an engineer in Bavaria if you do not have a permit to use the professional title. However, you are not allowed to call yourself "engineer" and "Ingenieurin".

Processing time

Duration of the procedure: approx. 2 - 3 months after submission of all required documents.

Required documents

  • Proof of identity (identity card, passport or birth certificate)

  • Registration certificate

  • Curriculum vitae including full details of education (primary school, secondary school, grammar school, etc.)

  • Evidence of formal qualifications (diploma, etc.)

  • Translation of the training certificate (diploma, etc.) into the German language

  • Subject catalogue ("Diploma Supplement")

  • Translation of the subject catalogue into the German language

  • In individual cases, the following additional documents must be submitted:

    • Proof of change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)
    • Acceptance certificate from the Federal Office for the Recognition of Foreign Refugees, Nuremberg, or status certificate - only necessary for Jewish emigrants from the former Soviet Union (contingent refugees) - in these cases the approval is issued free of charge.

  • Evaluation letter from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) - if available

  • Notes:

    • The translations must be made by a translator publicly appointed or sworn in Germany or in the EU.
    • The documents may be submitted in the form of copies or transmitted electronically.


Online procedures


  • 300.00 to 800.00 Euro according to the Schedule of Costs to the Costs Act (Tariff No. 5.IV.4.)


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.