Psychotherapist; application for permission to practice temporarily
If you want to practice the profession of psychotherapist in Germany without a license as a psychotherapist, you usually need a permit.
Permission may be granted in particular if you have completed your training abroad and the equivalence of your level of training has not yet been determined within the framework of a licensing procedure.
Basically, the most important prerequisite is that you can prove that you have completed a full psychotherapeutic training in accordance with the law of the state in which you acquired the training.
Further prerequisites are:
- that you have not been guilty of any conduct from which your unworthiness or unreliability to practice the psychotherapeutic profession may be inferred (reliability),
- you are not unfit in health terms to exercise the psychotherapeutic profession (health suitability), and
- you have the knowledge of the German language required for the practice of the profession (language skills).
You must submit the application for permission together with the required documents to the relevant government.
In Bavaria, the government responsible for issuing the permit is the Government of Upper Bavaria for activity in the administrative districts of Upper Bavaria, Lower Bavaria, Swabia and Upper Palatinate, and the Government of Lower Franconia for activity in the administrative districts of Upper Franconia, Middle Franconia and Lower Franconia.
There are no deadlines to meet.
Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register
if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)
valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)
complete and personally signed curriculum vitae
(tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)
Proof of exemption from punishment
- Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
- The criminal record excerpts must not be older than three months at the time of their submission.
- A certified copy of each of these extracts must be submitted.
Proof of your completed education (certified copy)
- Proof of education such as diploma
- If necessary, further country-specific certificates
Proof of authorisation to practise medicine in the country of training and/or the country of origin
if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)
(Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been exercised in the last five years. This certificate must not be older than three months at the time of its presentation).
Proof of required German language skills (certified copy)
(A certificate from an ALTE-certified language institute at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) must be presented).
On separate request:
- Certificate of good conduct of document type "O
- If the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a residence in Germany.
- In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Permission as a psychotherapist". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
- It must not be older than one month when presented.
- Medical certificate (original)
This must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or internist practicing in Germany or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide:
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited