Physician; application for a license to practice medicine when trained in a third country

Physicians can apply for a license to practice medicine if they have completed their medical training outside an EU member state, an EEA member state or Switzerland and wish to practice medicine in Bavaria.


Anyone who wants to work as a doctor in Germany after studying human medicine needs a special professional license for this - the Approbation.

The Government of Upper Bavaria issues the Approbation if the training was completed outside a member state of the European Union (EU) or another contracting state of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and the profession is to be practiced in Bavaria.


Approbation is subject to various requirements relating to successful completion of studies, personal and health suitability for practicing the profession, and sufficient German language skills.

Applicants who have completed their training outside the European Union and the European Economic Area can - provided all other requirements are met - only be granted an Approbation if they have an equivalent level of training.

If the equivalence of the level of training is not given or if it can only be determined with unreasonable time or material effort, an equivalent level of knowledge must be proven. This proof is provided by passing a knowledge test that covers the content of the state final examination.


You must submit the application for licensure together with the required documents to the Government of Upper Bavaria.

We recommend that you seek advice beforehand.

  • The Coordination and Advisory Office for Professional Recognition (KuBB) supports and advises employers and individuals seeking recognition in the recognition of a foreign qualification. You can find more information under "Further links".
  • The Central Service Point for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) serves as a central point of contact for applicants throughout the entire recognition process. Further information can be found under "Further links".
  • For assistance with the application process/entry, you can also contact the Central International and Professional Placement Office (ZAV) . Further information can be found under "Further links".

Special notes

In the case of merely temporary and occasional medical activity (service), a license or permit is not required. Rather, for the provision of services, it is sufficient to register with the competent authority and submit certain documents (see under "Related topics").


The application for licensure is not bound by any time limit.

Required documents

  • Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register

    (certified copy)

  • if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)

    (certified copy)

  • valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)

    (certified copy)

  • complete and personally signed curriculum vitae

    (tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)

  • Proof of exemption from punishment

    • Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
    • The criminal record excerpts must not be older than three months at the time of their submission.
    • A certified copy of each of these extracts must be submitted.

  • Proof of your completed education (certified copy)

    • Proof of education such as diploma
    • If applicable, further country-specific certificates
    • Overview of subjects completed during studies with number of hours and grades
    • If applicable, proof of compulsory internships completed

  • Proof of authorisation to practise medicine in the country of training and/or the country of origin

    (certified copy)

  • if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)

    (Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been exercised in the last five years. This certificate must not be older than three months at the time of its presentation).

  • If applicable, evidence of activity in the medical profession (e.g. certificates of employment and further training).

    (original or certified copy)

  • Curriculum/study book, if applicable

    (in original)

  • Technical language test to prove the required language skills

    (The registration with the competent chamber of health professions is carried out by the professional registration office. The result is transmitted directly from there).

  • On separate request:

    • Certificate of good conduct, document type "O", if the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a place of residence in Germany.
      • In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Approbation as a doctor". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
      • It must not be older than one month at the time of submission.
    • Medical certificate (original)
      • It must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or internist practising in Germany or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.
      • It must not be older than three months at the time of presentation.


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.

  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide: Ärztliches Attest
    Please note

    This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.

Online procedures


  • If you have not received your medical training in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and the equivalence of your level of training or knowledge is to be verified, EUR 400 must be paid for the license to practice medicine. In addition, there may be expenses for an expert opinion to determine the equivalence of the level of training or for a knowledge test.


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.