Technology-oriented business start-up; application for a grant
The Free State of Bavaria supports research and development (R&D) projects of founders in the field of general technologies, provided that they can be assigned to industrial research or experimental development.
The funding is intended to stimulate company start-ups in promising technological fields and to support newly founded companies. Funding can be provided for technologically and economically risky development projects that are related to the establishment of technology-oriented companies and aim to build up or strengthen the technological base of newly established and small companies.
Funding is available for projects involving the development of technologically new or significantly improved products, production processes and knowledge-based services, from the initial idea to an initial prototype that fulfills all functions. If there is not yet an assessment-ready, viable technological concept for the start-up of the company, concept projects for its creation can be funded (pre-development). A product or production process is considered new if it is not yet on the market in the European Economic Area. Existing industrial property rights must not be infringed.
Recipients of funding
Eligible applicants are persons who intend to establish a technology-oriented company and have the technical expertise required to carry out the project, or technology-oriented commercial companies that have been in existence for less than six years and have fewer than ten employees and meet the requirements of a small or medium-sized enterprise (SME).
The following are eligible for funding
- Personnel costs (flat rates),
- Costs for instruments and equipment,
- costs for contract research, technical knowledge and for patents acquired directly or under license from third parties, as well as costs for consulting and equivalent services used exclusively for the research and development project,
- other operating costs (materials, supplies, etc.) incurred directly as a result of the research and development activity
Type and scope
The funding is provided in the form of grants as part of project funding.
The aid intensity is up to 45% of the eligible costs of the R&D project, and up to 35% for concept projects.
- The implementation of the project must be associated with a considerable technical and economic risk, but nevertheless appear to be technically feasible on the basis of the envisaged solution path.
- The project must be characterized by a high degree of innovation, i.e. the technologies, products and services to be developed must go beyond the state of the art in science and technology.
- The main parts of the project must be carried out by the applicant in Bavaria.
- Funding will not be provided for projects that have already been started before the project management organization receives a verifiable application or that are being carried out on behalf of third parties.
- The applicant company must have specific research and development capacities.
- Applicants must demonstrably use an appropriate amount of their own or external funds to finance the project, which are not financed by other public aid or subsidized by interest rates.
- Cumulation with funds from the European Union or other state aid is generally not possible.
- Companies in difficulty are not eligible for support. This applies in particular to applicants over whose assets insolvency proceedings have been filed or opened.
- Outlines and applications for grants are to be sent to the Project Management Agency Bavaria.
- Applications must be submitted in writing and electronically. The access data for this can be obtained from the project management organization. Further information is provided on the Internet platform for electronic application (ELAN) of the State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy (see "Online procedure").
- The project management agency in Bavaria assumes responsibility for reviewing the outlines and applications in the name of and on behalf of the Free State of Bavaria, makes a recommendation for the funding decision, if necessary also with the involvement of expert consultants, and handles the processing of the funding, the processing of payment requests, the review of the interim reports, the proof of use and the utilization reports, and the handling of correspondence with the applicants. The project executing agency is entitled to obtain explanations from the applicants regarding the applications and the processing of the funding. The project management organization is obligated to maintain confidentiality.
- The granting authority is the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy. The granting authority issues the notice of award and disburses the funding. The calls for funds and the proof of use must be submitted to the project management organization, which forwards them to the approval authority.
Early contact with the project executing agency is recommended. Funding is provided without legal entitlement within the framework of the available budget.
The processing time from the first application to the notification of funding is about 6 months or 3 months for concept projects. With the submission of a first verifiable application, the project can be started at the applicant's own risk.
detailed project description including exploitation plan
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited