The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) supports projects of universities of applied sciences (Fachhochschulen/Hochschulen für Angewandte Wissenschaften) with the measure "FH-Europa" in order to enable them to expand and strengthen their networks on a European level as well as to establish themselves sustainably and in the longer term with their research foci in the scientific community.
As a researcher at a university of applied sciences, you can receive funding for eligible project-related costs, either alone or jointly with another university of applied sciences. Funding is provided for the expenses you incur in the course of preparing your application for a call in one of the European research funding programs.
Prospects for funding exist for your project
- for the preparation of research proposals that can be submitted to the European Commission until 31.12.2027.
- if your research applications are directed towards calls for proposals and supplementary programs of "Horizon Europe", for which universities of applied sciences and universities of applied sciences are eligible to apply.
- if your proposed activities are intended to support the preparation of research proposals to other European multinational research funding programs such as "Green Deal" or "EUREKA".
Furthermore, there is a prospect of funding for your project
- for the creation and consolidation of networks with potential project partners from other European countries as well as for research exchanges in other EU countries (in the case of international doctorates).
Type and scope, amount of grant:
- Grants are awarded to you by way of project funding as non-repayable subsidies.
- The basis for assessment is the eligible project-related expenditure (full funding) of your project.
- As a rule, the funding volume requested for your project should not exceed EUR 75,000.
- The BMBF will not grant a flat-rate project allowance for your project.
- The maximum duration of your funded project is 12 months.
- The project duration of your project ends regularly with the submission of the application to be developed.
- If additional work on network-building measures is carried out in your project, your project duration ends with the end of these measures.
- Your project must be completed by 31.12.2027 at the latest.
- At your university of applied sciences/university of applied sciences, a maximum of 2 "FH-Europa" projects running at the same time are permitted.
- The funds for the creation and continuation of networks with potential projects are not tied to the selected calls for proposals or their submission deadlines.
The BMBF will recognize as eligible for funding such activities of yours
- are aimed at submitting applications to the current calls for proposals of "Horizon Europe" and supplementary programs and
- demonstrably serve the purpose of networking with potential European project partnerships and offer added value for your universities of applied sciences with regard to a joint submission of an application to the European Commission, or
- Prepare an application for one of the above-mentioned European multinational research funding programs.
Eligible activities within the scope of direct application support are
- Discussions and meetings with representatives of the National Contact Points (NCPs) and other advisory bodies (for example, at the EU-COM) to prepare applications,
- Research to determine the state of the art in science and technology,
- Travel to coordinate a project idea or to prepare applications with other partners, including international partners; holding networking meetings,
- Preliminary research and development work to validate solution approaches or to prepare a project outline,
- Personnel for the preparation of proposals,
- Teaching substitutes for project-leading professors at universities of applied sciences/universities of applied sciences.
In addition to pure application support, the following activities are eligible for funding:
- Networking of existing research priorities, for example with the aim of giving them a European orientation.
- Measures that improve the expansion and interdisciplinary exchange of experience of networks of universities of applied sciences, for example by establishing research groups.
- Measures to increase the visibility and presence of universities of applied sciences as potential partners for (EU) applications, e.g. by establishing regional cooperation and networks with companies and practice partnerships, participating in partnering activities and portals, or exchanging researchers.
- high-profile measures that promote the visibility of the University of Applied Sciences in Europe, for example networking at international events and congresses or organizing and holding events at the University of Applied Sciences
- Travel of personnel involved in the project to potential project or network partnerships or stays at potential project and network partnerships
- Teaching substitutions for professors of the University of Applied Sciences involved in the project
- Personnel for the implementation and organization of the planned activities
You cannot receive funding for
- Expenses for basic equipment,
- infrastructure services or
- Contracts with service providers to support the preparation of scientific or administrative parts of the proposal,
- travel expenses of teaching substitutes
There is no entitlement to the grant. Rather, the granting authority decides on the basis of its dutiful discretion within the framework of the available budget funds.