Structural stability; application for recognition as a test engineer
You can apply for recognition as a test engineer for stability in the fields of solid construction, metal construction and timber construction, which perform testing tasks subject to building inspection.
In Bavaria, only those who have been recognized by the Bavarian State Ministry of Housing, Construction and Transport may use the designation "Test engineer for structural stability" in a specific field.
Test engineers for stability are specially qualified civil engineers who are recognized in a prescribed procedure by the Bavarian State Ministry of Housing, Construction and Transport for the specialist fields of solid construction, metal construction and timber construction.
Test engineers perform building inspection tasks in their respective specialist field on the basis of the Bavarian Building Code or regulations based on the Bavarian Building Code. On behalf of the building supervisory authority, they check the completeness and correctness of the stability certificates for certain special buildings.
They monitor the proper execution of construction work with regard to the proofs of stability they have examined.
The Bavarian State Ministry for Housing, Construction and Transport examines and decides on the recognition as a test engineer for stability. The proof of the required knowledge and skills (part of the special requirements) is carried out within the framework of an examination by the examination board formed at the Bavarian State Ministry for Housing, Construction and Transport. The applicant may be required to provide written and oral evidence of his or her knowledge. The Bavarian State Ministry of Housing, Construction and Transport maintains a list of recognized test engineers for stability.
Applicants must meet or demonstrate the following requirements in the recognition process:
Test engineers can only be persons who
- have the personality to guarantee that they will perform their duties properly in the sense of § 5 PrüfVBau,
- have the ability to hold public office,
- work independently and on their own responsibility
- have their place of business in the Free State of Bavaria,
- have a command of the German language, both written and spoken
Only persons are recognized as test engineers for stability who
- have completed a course of study in civil engineering at a German university or an equivalent course of study at a foreign university,
- have been working independently and on their own responsibility for at least two years as an engineer involved in structural design or as a full-time university lecturer,
- have been entrusted with the preparation of stability certificates, technical site management or comparable activities for at least ten years, of which they must have prepared stability certificates for at least five years and been entrusted with technical site management for at least one year. However, the time spent in technical site management may only be credited up to a maximum of three years,
- have the necessary knowledge of the relevant building regulations,
- have demonstrated above-average abilities through their performance as an engineer, and
- have the specialist knowledge and experience required for a test engineer.
The examination board at the Bavarian State Ministry of Housing, Construction and Transport decides whether the prerequisites Nos. 3 - 6 are met.
- for the applicant: none
- for the authority: three months after receipt of the application and submission of the complete documentation, the deadline can be extended once by two months
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited