Value added tax; request for non-binding information from the customs administration
If you are not sure how much VAT you have to pay for supplies or an intra-Community acquisition of an item, you can request non-binding information on this.
You supply or purchase goods within the Community and want to obtain non-binding information on the amount of VAT.
You can request non-binding sales tax information by mail or online.
- Access the Customs Citizen and Business Customer Portal.
- If you do not have a user account, follow the instructions to create one.
- Complete the online application for non-binding information on sales tax, add electronic attachments if necessary, and submit the application.
- You will receive a confirmation of receipt with a transaction number and an application accompanying document. You can use the application accompanying document to submit samples or specimens.
- You will receive a non-binding customs tariff information for VAT purposes in your electronic mailbox at the Citizens and Business Customer Portal of Customs. You will be notified of this by email.
Application by mail:
- Download and complete the "Application for Non-binding Customs Tariff Information for VAT Purposes" (Form 0310) on the Customs Administration website.
- Attach all the required documents.
- Send everything to your relevant office of the Education and Science Center (BWZ) of the General Directorate of Customs.
- You will receive a written non-binding information.
There is no deadline.
Processing occurs in 4 to 12 weeks for 75 percent of cases. (4 bis 12 Wochen)
You must include a meaningful description and, if applicable, samples of the goods. If samples cannot be enclosed due to the special procurement of the goods, such as perishability, size or value, photos, brochures, illustrations, technical drawings or detailed descriptions of the goods are necessary.
Antrag auf Erteilung einer unverbindlichen Zolltarifauskunft für Umsatzsteuerzwecke
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Non-binding tariff information issued by the customs administration cannot be challenged.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium der Finanzen
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited