Voluntary insurance in the statutory accident insurance; application
If you are not insured against accidents at work by law, you can apply for voluntary insurance. You can change or cancel the insurance at any time.
For voluntary insurance or supplementary insurance
- you must be self-employed as an entrepreneur or like an entrepreneur
- you must not be compulsorily insured (such as midwives or physiotherapists).
As a person working on a voluntary basis, you have the option of voluntary insurance only if:
- there is no compulsory insurance for them and
- the responsible accident insurance institution offers corresponding voluntary insurance,
- you are working for a non-profit organization,
- you have been elected to an official position or have been entrusted with a prominent task.
You can apply to change and cancel voluntary insurance or supplemental insurance online or by mail.
- Access the online service.
- You will be guided through the process on the Accident Insurance Service Portal.
- You can log in.
- If you would like to receive the response from your Workers' Compensation Board or Accident Insurance Fund in the mailbox of your BundID account or My Business account, you must have an account and authenticate.
- If you would like to receive the response by mail, you can also proceed without logging in.
- Select your responsible employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund or determine it using the industry search.
- Upload the required documents.
- Fill out the online form and submit it.
- Your report will be automatically forwarded to your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund.
- You will receive a response by the requested method.
Online service Your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund:
- If you have access to the portal of your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund, you can also submit the notification electronically there, if necessary.
Message by mail:
- Contact your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund with an informal letter.
- Make sure you provide the required information and enclose the necessary documents.
Note: Some employers' liability insurance associations and accident insurance funds provide a suitable form on their websites.
- Download it from your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund and fill it out.
- Then send it with the required documents by mail or via the online portal to your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund.
There are no clues or specifics.
There is no deadline.
1 to 2 weeks
- in the case of self-employed persons and entrepreneurs, their assisting spouses or partners, and persons similar to entrepreneurs:
- Proof of income, e.g. income tax assessment
- in the case of volunteers, the following evidence may be required:
- Current version of the nonprofit organization's articles of incorporation or partnership agreement.
- Proof of the organization's non-profit status
- Proof of election to an official position or assignment to a prominent task
- Evidence of its or their unpaid exercise
- Depending on the reason for the end of insurance, documentation is needed to prove that the requirements for voluntary insurance or supplemental insurance are no longer met. For example:
- current version of the company's articles of association
- proof of cessation of the company
- proof of death of the insured person
- Detailed information on how to lodge an appeal can be found in the notification from your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited