Private secondary schools; application for utility allowance.

School boards of private secondary schools, grammar schools, independent Waldorf schools (from grade 5), and second-chance schools receive a pension allowance for the pension expenses incurred for their teachers in the previous year.


Object and beneficiaries

School operators of private, state-recognized and state-approved secondary schools, grammar schools, independent Waldorf schools (from grade 5 onwards) and second-chance schools receive a pension subsidy for the pension costs incurred by their teaching staff in the previous year.

Type and amount

The main bases for calculation are the number of students on October 1, the weekly teaching hours calculated on this basis, and the annual salary of a comparable, average state teacher.

In the case of evening high schools and evening secondary schools, the amount of the pension subsidy is limited to the actual pension costs incurred by the school authority in the previous year in relation to the teaching staff, which is why the full pension subsidy calculated may not be granted.

In addition, the pension subsidy is still subject to the transitional provisions of Art. 57a of the Bavarian School Financing Act (BaySchFG) for school authorities that were entitled to a subsidy under Art. 40 of the BaySchFG in the version applicable until January 1, 2006.


Among other things:

  • Only schools operated by legal entities under public or private law and operating on a non-profit basis receive state funding (proof must be provided in the form of a certificate from the tax office). This includes ecclesiastical legal entities, including those under Article 9 of the Bavarian Concordat with the Holy See of March 29, 1924, and Article 13 of the Treaty between the Bavarian State and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria on the Right Bank of the Rhine of November 15, 1924.
  • State recognition of the school; in the case of state approval, the requirements of Art. 45, Para. 1 BaySchFG must be met.
    These include that
    • the school is fully developed
    • the school offers the guarantee that it permanently fulfills the educational goals of the corresponding public schools in a way that makes it appear equivalent to public schools,
    • there are no major objections from the school supervisory authorities,
    • the school has been in operation for at least 4 school years as of 01.08. of a year (start of subsidy), and
    • the school is intended to operate on a permanent basis.


Grants are awarded by the Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs, usually with an advance payment on February 15 based on the previous year's grant and a final payment including settlement on November 15 of the respective year.

The school authorities receive the application documents from the State Ministry at the beginning of the year and submit them in writing by May 31 of the year, together with the necessary supporting documents.


Applications must be submitted by May 31 of the year to receive the annual grant.

Processing time

The application is processed in the current grant year (financial year). Grants are also awarded in the same year.

Required documents

  • Copy of the notice from the tax office on the (provisional) recognition of non-profit status

  • Entitled persons receive the necessary forms annually from the Bavarian State Ministry for Education and Culture, Science and the Arts.

    (the documents required in individual cases will be referred to in a general letter to all school authorities)



  • none

Legal bases


Objection or administrative court action


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Unterricht und Kultus

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.