Cinema; application for funding within the framework of the Future Cinema Program
If you would like to invest in your cinema, you can apply for funding under certain conditions.
Applications can be submitted by:
- Cinema operators of fixed cinemas
- located in the Federal Republic of Germany and with a maximum of 7 screens
- from a federal state with its own cinema support program
- with proof of economic viability
- Economic viability is generally recognized if:
- Your cinema has had an average of 275 screenings in the past 3 years
- can prove continuous operation for at least 9 months on average
You must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Your cinema is located in a municipality with a population of 50,000 or less
- You have, within the last 3 years prior to application, received an award with
- Cinema Program Award of the BKM
- the Cinema Award of the Kinematheksverbund
- a cinema program award of the federal states
- have an audience share of at least 40 percent for German and European films
- On average, 40 percent of your total programming (screened film titles) in the last 3 calendar years consisted of German and other European films. The number of titles is the deciding factor in programming.
You must submit the application for funding under the Future Cinema Program online and in writing to the German Federal Film Board (FFA):
- You submit the application online via the FFA's application and notification portal. You can also upload all required documents there.
- Fill out the application form electronically and send it off. Then print out the sent application form and sign it. The signed application form, send by mail to the FFA within 5 days after online application to make the application legally binding.
- The FFA will review your application. If the FFA approves your application, you will receive a grant notification by mail.
- They will now begin the action.
- If necessary, you can also apply to start your measure before your grant notice is issued.
- If you would like to receive an installment payment, submit the Installment Payment Request online and upload the required documentation. Print and sign the installment disbursement form that was sent electronically. Mail the signed application form to the FFA.
- FFA will review your installment payment request and, if all supporting documentation is received, will transfer the installment.
- When you have completed the measure, you submit an online application to the FFA for verification of use in connection with the payment of the last installment:
- You create a proof of use online (numerical proof and factual report) and upload all required documents. Complete and submit the proof of use form electronically. Then print and sign the sent form. Mail the signed form to the FFA.
- The FFA will check the proof of use and transfer the last installment if all proofs are submitted.
- for application: none, applications can be submitted on an ongoing basis
- Use of funds: within 6 months after the grant is awarded
- Submission of proof of use: when the last installment is paid, but no later than 6 months after the end of the grant period.
You may not start the measure until your application has been approved.
In exceptional, particularly justified cases, the deadlines may be extended upon request.
- for processing the application: usually 8 weeks.
The processing time can only be adhered to if the application is submitted in full with all required documents.
You must submit the following with your application
- Cost and financing plan
- Cost estimates
- Information on rental, lease or ownership status
- Current extract from the commercial register or extract from the register of associations of the applicant, not older than one year
- Precise description of the measure
- for cinemas in cities with more than 50,000 inhabitants: proof of cinema program award
- from the Federal Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM)
- the Cinematheque Association
- if not available: Proof of audience shares
- Film program with the help of a complete schedule from the last 3 years before application
In order to receive the first installment of funding, you must submit
- the completed application for payment with your signature
- if you are not the applicant, an additional power of attorney from the applicant
- all proof of financing
Before you receive the last installment, you must submit
- Proof of use (numerical proof and factual report) with your signature
- if you are not the applicant, a power of attorney from the applicant
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Die Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited