Film heritage; application for funding for the digitization of films
If you want to digitise historically important or valuable German films, you can apply for funding under certain conditions.
Applications may be submitted by:
- Persons holding the rights to the film or
- who are in possession of the original material and have the consent of the person holding the rights, or
- Film heritage institutions and archives without proof of rights for the purpose of safeguarding the film.
- the applicant must have his or her place of residence or business in Germany
- applicants with their place of residence or business in
- Another Member State of the European Union,
- Norway or
must have a branch office in Germany
- the film must have special film-historical significance or documentary or artistic value.
- the film must be suitable for the cinema.
- your own contribution to the costs must be at least 20 percent.
- the digital version must have a resolution of at least 2 K (2048 pixels in width).
You must submit the application for funding online to the German Federal Film Board (FFA).
- Register on the FFA's application portal.
- Upload the required documents.
- Your application form will be automatically generated on the FFA application portal based on your uploaded information.
- Print and sign the application form.
- Submit the signed application form to the FFA.
- The FFA will review your application and decide whether to approve it.
- FFA will notify you by mail if your application is approved.
- If your application is approved, you will receive a grant notification.
- If your application is rejected, you will be informed of the reasons for rejection by mail.
- Once the decision has become final, you can submit a request for funds.
- The FFA will review your application for payment and transfer the funds to the project account of the person receiving the grant.
- Application: Applications can be submitted on an ongoing basis
- Grant period: 12 months to implement the project
- Application for payment: after you have made your expenditure or at the earliest 6 weeks before necessary payment
- Final evaluation: at the latest 6 months after the end of the grant period
- for processing the application after the meeting date: up to 4 weeks
- from request for funds to payment: 2 to 4 weeks
When applying, you must submit:
- Project description (statement of significance for film heritage).
- Proof of German film (BAFA proof or similar)
- Proof of rights or consent of the person who owns the rights
- Cost breakdown or cost estimate
- current excerpt from the commercial or association register
- Proof of own funds (bank confirmation or bank statement)
- in the case of an exploitation or curatorial interest: Evaluation concept
- in the case of conservation interest: technical appraisal of the danger to the material
- if applicable:
- proof of participation in festivals, nominations and prizes
- Proof of external funding
For the disbursement of the first instalments you have to submit:
For disbursement of the final installment, you must submit:
- numerical proof
- Confirmation of storage from the Federal Archive
- Confirmation of the documentation of the submitted documents at the film portal
- factual report
Formulare - Förderung für Digitalisierung von Kinofilmen
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Die Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited