Physicians and psychotherapists in rural areas; application for the rural physician premium.
The Free State of Bavaria grants a premium for the establishment of physicians, the foundation of medical care centers (MVZ) and the formation of branches in regions with poorer medical care.
Purpose and aim of the rural physician premium
Sufficient outpatient medical care close to home is largely guaranteed in Bavaria. Due to unfavorable developments of infrastructural and socio-demographic factors, in particular in the case of an accumulation of special challenges, such as the coincidence of an aging population with an increased need for medical care and at the same time an aging medical profession as well as unfavorable accessibility and mobility situation, an insufficient medical care can occur in individual cases. For these regions, which are often rural in character, it is often more difficult to recruit enough physicians to work as contract physicians in order to stabilize the supply situation in the long term. The rural physician premium is intended to provide financial compensation for these special challenges and thus encourage the decision to set up a practice, establish medical care centers (MVZs) and set up branches in the rural physician premium area.
Recipients of the grant
Recipients of the rural physician premium can be the following physician groups:
- Family doctor
- ENT doctor
- Child and adolescent psychiatrist.
Amount of the premium
The amount of the rural physician premium for a branch office of physicians or for the establishment of an MVZ is up to 60,000 euros. If a branch is formed, the amount of the rural physician premium is up to 15 000 euros. The amount of the rural doctor's premium for a branch office of psychotherapists and for the establishment of an MVZ with the specialty of psychotherapy is up to 20 000 euros. In the case of the formation of a branch in the specialty of psychotherapy, the amount of the rural physician premium is up to 5 000 euros in each case.
- The establishment must take place in the Landarztprämiengebiet.
- The Landarztprämiengebiet (rural physician premium area) is any planning area in Bavaria for which no restrictions on admission pursuant to Section 103 Para. 1 SGB V have been ordered by the Land Committee, unless exceptions are possible pursuant to Section 100 Para. 3 SGB V, Section 101 Para. 1 Sentence 8 and Para. 4 Sentences 5 and 6 SGB V or Section 103 Para. 2 Sentence 4 SGB V despite the restrictions on admission. An exception also exists if the admission restrictions ordered for the planning area would have to be lifted in the next regular meeting of the state committee without the intended practice succession pursuant to Section 103 Para. 3a and 4 SGB V or if an immediate serious local supply deficit would arise and sufficient co-supply of the local population by other physicians participating in SHI-accredited medical care would not be possible or reasonable.
In addition, the rural physician premium guideline requires that
- physicians of the physician group of child and adolescent psychiatrists are located in a Bavarian municipality with a population of 40,000 or less, or
- physicians belonging to the other groups of physicians establish themselves or form a branch office in a Bavarian municipality with a population of no more than 20,000,
- the commencement of medical practice (cut-off date) has taken place and the application for the rural physician premium has been submitted within six months of the cut-off date at the latest,
- the recipient of the rural physician premium undertakes to maintain the medical activity, for which the requested premium is granted, at the place of practice for at least 60 months from the cut-off date and to actually carry out the medical activity during this period to the extent requested at the place of practice in the rural physician premium area specified in the application (commitment period).
The application for the granting of a rural physician premium is to be made using the application form provided via the Bavarian form server. In this case, a fully electronic application is possible after registration function (BayernID or online ID function), or the subsequent sending of the signed application by mail or fax. The application form can be found under the following link.
Notes and information on the individual application procedures (BayernID or online ID function) can be found at the following link.
The establishment, formation of a branch or foundation of the MVZ must be in accordance with the physician requirement planning and the decision on admission must have been made.
The application must be submitted within six months of the commencement of medical practice and the application must be received by the State Office for Health and Food Safety within this period.
If the application is submitted fully electronically (registration function with BayernID or the online ID function), the processing time is approx. 4 - 6 weeks.
If the application is submitted with a signed application form by mail or fax, the processing time is approx. 6 - 8 weeks. We therefore recommend submitting the application via the registration function.
Decision under licensing law on the applicant's activity as an SHI-accredited physician or the establishment of an MVZ,
Declaration of commencement of medical practice,
"De minimis" statement,
Declaration as to whether an application for funding has been made or is intended to be made on the basis of the guarantee guideline of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians of Bavaria and the decision of the KVB,
declaration of consent under data protection law, in particular with the consent of the LGL to obtain information from the KVB on data relevant to the respective premium relationship.
Statement of facts relevant to the subsidy and
Doctor's register extract from the Kassenärztliche Vereinigung Bayerns (Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians in Bavaria)
(must not be older than three months at the time of application)
All necessary data and documents are mapped via the application form.
Please note that you must attach the decision under licensing law (decision), as well as a current extract from the medical register (print date after the start of medical practice) as an attachment to the application. These attachments can easily be attached as a PDF file. If the application form is sent by mail or fax, these attachments do not need to be sent.
Other necessary documents can be attached to the application form if necessary.
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited