Full-length documentary film; application for funding for material development
If you are developing an artistically outstanding program-filling documentary film project, you can apply for material development funding under certain conditions.
Applications can be submitted by
- Directors, provided they already have a program-length documentary film of at least 79 minutes that has been exploited in cinemas, at festivals or on television.
- You must have secured a production company for your project and be able to prove this with a corresponding letter of intent.
If you are financing the project yourself, you do not need a production company. In this case, an independent dramaturge is required to support your project. You must prove this with a corresponding letter of intent.
You must submit the application for funding online to the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM):
- Go to the website of the Federal Portal and complete the application form online.
- Upload the required documents and submit the application online.
Further procedural steps:
- The BKM decides on the applications on the recommendation of the independent "Documentary Film Jury" (material development and production funding for documentary film projects).
- You will receive notification from the BKM as to whether your application for funding has been approved.
- The German Federal Film Board (FFA) takes over the administrative processing of the funding.
- After completion of the material development, the "Documentary Film Jury" must approve the result of the funding.
- You must inform the BKM at regular intervals about the further production process.
- Once you have completed your project, you must submit a where-used list.
There are no indications or special features.
As a rule, there are 3 submission deadlines per year. The current deadlines can be found on the website of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM).
- before the start of the project
Proof of use of the funds:
- within 6 months of the end of the project
8 to 10 weeks
Submit with application:
- Synopsis, maximum one DIN A4 page
informative project outline with presentation
- possible storylines and protagonists,
- initial ideas for the visual and dramaturgical concept and
- Objectives of the material development funding (approx. 10 pages)
- Presentation of the time frame for the planned project
- Realization concept after completion of the script development
Vita or filmography
- of the director,
- the producer and
- of the dramaturgical consultant
Letter of intent
- from a producer with a so-called producer's note or
- an external dramaturgical consultant with a brief assessment of the project
- if applicable, further expressions of interest from third parties such as broadcasters or distributors
detailed cost breakdown, broken down by:
- Fees for authors in an appropriate amount
- Costs for rights acquisition and legal advice
- Costs for research and archive
- Travel expenses and participation fees for project presentations at film trade fairs; both must be demonstrably directly related to the development of the material
- Translation costs
- Costs for the creation of a teaser or trailer
- Fees for dramaturgical advice
- Costs for the creation of concepts and materials for marketing and exploitation
- Declaration of rights to the material; you may also have to provide proof of personal rights or rights to existing works
- Explanation in the event of resubmission and status of previous submissions for other funding, if applicable
- Action before the administrative court
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Die Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited