Cinema program award; application
Apply with your cinema for the Cinema Program Award.
The Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM) awards annual cinema program prizes. The prize is awarded to cinemas with a culturally outstanding annual film program.
Annual film programs are outstanding if they
- have a particularly high proportion of German and European films and
- these films have artistic quality.
As part of the Cinema Program Award, the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM) presents the following awards and prizes:
- best annual film program: 20,000 EUR
- other outstanding annual film programs: 15,000 EUR
- outstanding annual film programs: 10,000 EUR
- particularly good annual film programs: 7,500 EUR
- Special award for best children's and youth film program: 10,000 EUR
- Special award for best short film program: 10,000 EUR
- Special prize for best documentary film program: 10,000 EUR
- depending on gradation:
- Special Award Children's and Youth Film: 2,500 EUR or 5,000 EUR
- Special Award Short Film: 2.500 EUR or 5.000 EUR
- Special Award Documentary Film: 2,500 EUR or 5,000 EUR
Cinemas that have received monetary support for the application year from municipal or state sources in the form of financial grants, rent reductions or waivers of other operating costs are excluded from the application process if, based on the total amount of municipal grants received, it can be assumed that the applicant cinema is economically equivalent to a cinema under municipal management. You can apply for several awards.
Applications may be submitted by:
- Owners of commercial and fixed cinemas in Germany.
- Applications can be submitted for movie theaters that can prove at least 275 screenings and at least 9 months of screenings in the previous year. Only screenings in cinemas are taken into account (for example, no open-air screenings).
You must submit your application for a Cinema Program Award online to the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM).
Submit application online:
- Go to the website of the federal portal verwaltung.bund.de and fill out the application form electronically.
- For the online application, you will need an electronic identification document, for example your ELSTER organization certificate.
- Upload the required documents as a file (in PDF file formats, maximum 10 megabytes per file) and submit the application.
Further procedural steps:
- The jury for the Cinema Program Award will deliberate on the submitted applications. The BKM decides on the award based on the jury's proposal.
- The BKM announces the awards at an award ceremony.
- If you receive an award, the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) takes over the payment and processing of the award.
Applications can be submitted from 06.02.2023. The application deadline is 22.03.2023 at 12:00.
For processing the application: about 6 months
- Action before the Administrative Court
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Die Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited