Fish labeling; application for a commercial designation
If you want to apply for a new trade name for fishery and aquaculture products, you can apply for this.
In the register of trade descriptions for fishery and aquaculture products, all trade descriptions permitted in Germany are listed. There is a separate list for trade descriptions that have not yet been finally included in this register.
If you want to apply for a new trade name, please note the following:
- You should only apply for a trade name for one species at a time (species-specific such as "Clupea harengus").
- If a trade name already applies to another species or genus, that name usually cannot be assigned.
- You do not need a trade name for fish, crustaceans and mollusks that have been prepared or preserved and are imported under CN code 1604 or 1605, respectively.
Further guidance on the allocation of trade descriptions can be found on the website of the Federal Agency for Agriculture and Food (BLE).
If you would like a supplementary description to an existing trade description, please apply for a new trade description.
All lists can be viewed and downloaded from the BLE website.
They must be operators, i.e. they must commercially market fishery or aquaculture products.
- place on the market,
- move within the Community,
- import or
Note: Fishing industry associations are not eligible to apply.
You must apply for the registration of a new trade name in writing.
- You can apply for the trade designation on the BLE website via the "Online application" link. Simply follow the instructions in the form and complete any missing information.
- You will receive notification that your application has been received. The BLE will also point out any missing information.
- The BLE will process your application and then notify you of the outcome.
- If a new trade name is recognized, the announcement will be made in the Federal Gazette.
You must submit the application no later than 6 weeks before planned use of the trade name.
The processing time is usually 6 weeks.
- Justification why the proposed name should be assigned
- If applicable, visual material and other evidence
Antrag auf eine Handelsbezeichnung für Fischereiprodukte
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Ernährung und Landwirtschaft
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited