Minimum wage; registration of employees
If you are an employer based abroad and employ people in Germany, you must register them via the Minimum Wage Reporting Portal. The same applies if you borrow temporary workers from a lender based abroad.
In principle, you must report in the Minimum Wage Reporting Portal if your employees are currently working in one of the following industries:
- Construction and construction-related trades
- Catering and accommodation industry
- Passenger transportation
- forwarding, transport and related logistics industry
- Showman's trade
- Forestry enterprises
- Building cleaning industry
- Companies involved in the construction and dismantling of trade fairs and exhibitions
- Meat industry
- Prostitution trade
- Guarding and security industry
- Waste management, including street cleaning and winter services
- Education and training services in accordance with the Second or Third Book of the Social Security Code
- Nursing services
- Chimney sweeping
- Temporary work, employee leasing
Further information on reporting requirements can also be found on the Customs Administration website.
You must provide this information on a regular basis:
- Surname, first name and date of birth of the employee.
- Start and duration of employment or temporary employment
- Place of employment
- Place in Germany where the documents are kept available
- Name and address of the person responsible or the lender
- Industry in which the employee will work
In addition, you basically need someone in Germany to whom mail can be delivered. You must state your name and address when registering.
As an employer, you must also confirm that you comply with the minimum working conditions applicable in Germany when registering. If you submit a notification as a hirer, you must upload a corresponding assurance from the hirer.
If there are any changes to the information in a notification, you must submit a notification of change.
- There is no applicant, as there is no application procedure. Therefore, there are also no requirements for submitting a notification.
The notification of the employee is to be carried out online in the reporting portal-minimum wage.
- Register on the reporting portal-minimum wage.
- Confirm your e-mail address and log in.
- Complete all the required data, upload the evidence if necessary and click on "Send".
- You will immediately see a confirmation of receipt in the application, with the notification ID, date and time of your notification.
There are some exceptions to the reporting requirement, including:
- regular monthly remuneration of more than EUR 2,958 gross per month
- regular monthly remuneration of more than EUR 2,000 gross, if demonstrably paid for the last 12 months
- family members of the employer
In some sectors (e.g. road transport), the reporting obligation has been modified so that less information is required. Customs provides information on the exceptions to the reporting requirements on its website.
- Message: before starting work
No legal remedies are given.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium der Finanzen
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited