Child day care facilities; request for staff approval.

If a sponsor of a daycare center wishes to hire a pedagogical specialist or supplementary staff member without a recognized degree, a personnel approval must be applied for.


Pedagogical specialists are basically persons with a specialized theoretical and practical social pedagogical education, which is proven by a domestic or foreign degree at least on the level of a specialized academy.

Supplementary pedagogical staff for the care of children of all age groups, on the other hand, are persons with at least two years of predominantly pedagogically oriented, completed training. In addition, the pedagogical staff must have the German language skills necessary to fulfill the educational and upbringing goals.

The generally recognized occupational groups for work as a pedagogical specialist include, among others, nursery school teachers, childhood pedagogues, social pedagogues and, for work as a supplementary pedagogical staff, child care workers.

Persons who do not have a degree comparable to the above-mentioned reference professions, but who can provide evidence of pedagogical qualifications and professional experience in the field of childcare, have the option of applying directly to a sponsor of a daycare facility and having the latter check with the competent supervisory authority whether their pedagogical qualifications are sufficient to work as a supplementary or even as a specialist. In principle, the sponsor of a facility is obliged to provide proof of sufficient qualification of the staff it employs.


The supplementary or specialist pedagogical staff to be hired cannot provide any of the following qualifications:

  • state-certified educator (Erzieherin / staatlich anerkannter Erzieher)
  • state-certified childcare worker (Kinderpflegerin / staatlich geprüfter Kinderpfleger)
  • state-approved social pedagogue (diploma/B.A.)
  • State-recognized childhood educator (B.A.)
  • State-recognized special educators / special educators B.A., who can prove relevant professional experience of at least one year in a regular facility as a supplementary staff member
  • State-recognized curative education nurses - if the employment takes place in a child day care facility in which at least one child with a disability or a child at risk of significant disability is regularly cared for


The provider of the daycare center submits the application to the authority issuing the operating permit. If the day care center is run by a municipality belonging to the district, the district office is responsible. If the child day care facility is run by an independent city and the district, the government is responsible.

Upon application by the operator of a child day care facility, the responsible authority examines whether professional suitability in the sense of the legal requirements exists and whether a corresponding permit can be issued. Approvals are granted on a workplace-specific basis, which means that if a specialist or supplementary staff member changes workplace, the competent authority must grant the new provider the appropriate approval. If the authority confirms the qualification as a pedagogical specialist or supplementary staff member, the employment can take place.

Special notes

You can check via the Kita-Berufeliste of the Center Bavaria Family and Social Affairs (see "Further information") whether the profession or the academic training has already been examined and evaluated in Bavaria with regard to a pedagogical qualification. If the profession or academic training has already been examined, a positive decision can be expected from the responsible supervisory authority if the examination of the institution-specific factors is also positive.

If the profession or academic training is not listed, it is advisable to apply to the Bavarian State Youth Welfare Office via the locally responsible operating license authority for an assessment of the professional qualification and to find out whether the existing training qualifies the person to work as a specialist or supplementary staff member. The assessment is not binding. The Bavarian Youth Welfare Office does not recognize foreign professional qualifications, it only provides information on whether the professional qualification is comparable.



Required documents

  • The following documents are required:

    • Copy of personal identification documents (e.g. passport, residence permit, work permit)
    • Certificate of professional qualification(s) in the original and in German translation
    • Proof of the contents of the education (e.g. list of subjects)
    • Curriculum vitae in tabular form (with full details of educational and professional qualifications)
    • Evidence of professional activities in the desired occupational field (e.g. work visit or qualified work certificate)
    • Proof of your German language skills: Language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
    • Letters/notices from other authorities


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.

  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide: Antrag auf Personalzustimmung nach § 16 Abs. 6 AVBayKiBiG (Empfänger: Regierung)
    Please note

    This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.


  • none

Links to more information


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Familie, Arbeit und Soziales

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.