Work and commuting accident; Report

If a work accident occurs at your company or institution, you must report it.


As an entrepreneur or institution, you are required to report work accidents or accidents while travelling to or from work to the statutory accident insurance fund. This reporting obligation arises if the injured person is expected to be unfit for work for more than three days. For children, pupils and students, you must report each accident that requires medical treatment.

Once you have submitted your report, the statutory accident insurance fund assesses whether and to what extent the insurance cover applies, for example whether there is a link between the accident and the operating activity. It also automatically checks which services are to be provided.

By law, commercial trade associations are the competent bodies for all companies, institutions and freelancers. These are organised by industry. Regional accident insurance offices are the competent bodies for public companies, including for accidents involving students, for example.


  • Work accidents or accidents while travelling to or from work, as a result of which the injured person is expected to be unfit for work for more than 3 days
  • Accidents involving pupils or students or accidents at nurseries that require medical treatment


You can report a work accident or an accident while travelling to or from work online.

  • Complete the online form by answering the questions contained therein relating to the accident. If possible, you should have details about your competent accident insurance provider and your membership number ready. This will speed up the process for forwarding your report to the right accident insurance provider.
  • Your report will be processed as soon as your online form is received. Once you have completed the web form, you will receive a copy of the accident report for download and the contact details of your accident insurance provider.
  • The statutory accident insurance fund or the accident insurance office will then automatically check which services are to be provided. You will not need to submit a further application for this purpose.

Note: The injured person should consult an accident insurance consultant following the work accident. These consultants have specialist knowledge and experience in the field of accident and emergency medicine. Immediate medical assistance is of course crucial in an emergency and can be obtained from any doctor.

Special notes



Filing of the report within 3 days after knowledge of the accident.

Processing time


Required documents

  • Required Documents


Online procedures


  • None

    Gebühr: keine


  • Appeal
  • Detailed information on how to lodge an appeal can be found in the notification from your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund.


Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.