Accident at work and on the way to work; notification

If an occupational accident or commuting accident has occurred in your company or facility, you must report it.


As an employer or institution, you are obliged to report occupational accidents or commuting accidents to the statutory accident insurance. The obligation to report exists if the injured person is expected to be unable to work for more than three days. In the case of children, pupils and students, you must report any accident that requires medical treatment.

After you report the accident, the statutory accident insurance will check whether and to what extent insurance coverage exists, for example, whether the accident is related to the occupational activity. It also automatically checks which benefits are to be provided.

According to the law, the commercial employers' liability insurance associations are responsible for all companies, institutions and freelancers. These are divided according to industry. The regionally structured accident insurance funds are responsible for public sector companies, for example, also for accidents involving schoolchildren.


  • accident at work or on the way to work, as a result of which the injured person will probably be unable to work for more than 3 days
  • pupil, student or kindergarten accident requiring medical treatment


You can report an accident at work or on the way to work online.

  • Complete the online form on the service portal of the German Social Accident Insurance (DGUV) by answering the questions there about the accident.
  • If possible, have information on your responsible accident insurance institution and membership number ready. This will enable your report to be forwarded more quickly to the correct accident insurance institution.
  • Your report will be processed immediately upon receipt of your online form. Once you have completed the web form in full, you will receive a copy of the accident report to download and the contact details of your accident insurance provider.
  • The statutory accident insurance or accident insurance fund then automatically checks which benefits are to be provided. You do not need to submit any further application for this.

Special notes

The injured person should consult a transit doctor after the accident at work. They have special knowledge and experience in the field of accident medicine. In an emergency, of course, rapid medical assistance is important and any doctor can be consulted.


Filing the report: within 3 days after the accident

Online procedures


  • none

Status: 14.01.2023

Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.