Translator and interpreter; application for recognition of a non-Bavarian qualification
You can apply for recognition of your non-Bavarian academic degree or other professional training with a state examination if you wish to be publicly appointed and sworn in by the court as a "translator" and "interpreter".
The profession of "translator" and "interpreter" is regulated in Bavaria for the purpose of general swearing-in and public appointment. If you have acquired a relevant academic translator and interpreter degree or a state translator and interpreter examination outside of Bavaria (in another federal state or abroad), you can apply for recognition of your qualification for the purpose of public appointment and general swearing in before the courts.
In this context, we would like to point out that the activity of translators and interpreters in the entire Federal Republic of Germany falls under the freedom of trade. Only for the public appointment and general swearing in before the courts as a translator and interpreter do you need the recognition of your non-Bavarian qualification (or the State Examination for Translators and Interpreters).
In order to be able to open a recognition procedure, you must provide evidence of professional training in the field of translation and interpreting by means of an above-mentioned relevant translator and interpreter degree or a state translator and interpreter examination.
The acquired professional qualification must include German as a corresponding language.
The application can be submitted regardless of citizenship and residence status. Applications from abroad are also possible.
The Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs carries out the recognition procedures in the field of translation and interpreting.
- The application must be submitted in writing or electronically to the Examination Office for Translators and Interpreters of the Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs (for contact details, see "Responsible for you").
- Please note that official documents (e.g. certificates, diplomas) must be sent by mail as officially certified copies.
- Within one month, the State Ministry will confirm receipt of the application and request any missing documents.
- Once the complete documents have been submitted, the procedure is completed within three months.
- In the course of the equivalence determination procedure, a check is made to determine whether there are any significant differences between the proven professional qualification and the Bavarian training to become a state-certified translator or state-certified translator and interpreter.
- The main criteria for the comparison are the prescribed requirements with regard to training content and duration, as well as the question of whether any deviating knowledge and skills are decisive for practicing the profession in Germany. Therefore, a complete correspondence with the Bavarian professional training and the Bavarian state examination for translators or translators and interpreters is not required.
- If there are no significant differences between the proven professional qualification and the Bavarian training as a state-certified translator or translator and interpreter, the applicant's professional qualification will be recognized as equivalent to the state examination for translators or translators and interpreters taken in Bavaria.
- If the determination of equivalence cannot be made due to substantial differences, these substantial differences and the existing professional qualification shall be determined by notice.
- In order to compensate for substantial differences, applicants from a member state of the European Union or from a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area may choose between an adaptation course and an aptitude test. In other cases, the Ministry of State decides whether an adaptation period or an aptitude test is to be completed.
There is no automatic recognition of degrees from specific providers or universities. Each degree is examined individually to determine whether it can be recognized as equivalent to the Bavarian state examination for translators.
No recognition procedure can be opened for professional activities in the field of translation and interpreting.
Within one month, the Ministry of State confirms receipt of the application and requests any missing documents.
After submission of the complete documents, the procedure is completed within three months.
You must submit the following documents:
- officially certified copy of identity card or similar proof of identity (from a public administration office, e.g. district administration office, town hall)
- in case of change of name since the acquisition of the diploma/certificate: marriage certificate or similar
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form (especially with regard to activities in the field of translation/interpreting)
- Diploma or certificate of relevant translator and interpreter studies or state translator and interpreter examination (officially certified copy from a public administration office, e.g. district administration office, town hall)
- if not listed in the diploma/certificate itself, proof of the final examinations taken (in the field of translation and interpreting) - official proof, e.g. in the form of examination and study regulations, module handbooks or the like
- a declaration for which language the equivalence is requested
- a declaration that the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with the professional qualification as a translator or as a translator and interpreter is to be established
- a declaration as to whether and to which body an application for the determination of equivalence has already been submitted, as well as, if applicable, a decision issued by another country
- The fee for carrying out the recognition procedure is currently EUR 40 plus postal charges.
An appeal is permitted against the decision of the competent body. This allows you to take legal action against the decision so that it can be reviewed.
It is recommended that you first clarify the disputed issues with the competent body before lodging an appeal.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Unterricht und Kultus
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited