Start of procedure
- The procedure begins with the receipt of an application.
- Within one month, the recognition office confirms receipt of the application, checks receipt of the advance payment of EUR 150.00 and, if necessary, requests any missing documents.
- The recognition office checks the requirements for granting state recognition on the basis of the documents submitted.
- The main criteria are the skills and knowledge acquired during the individual studies completed abroad.
- Other methods and sources of information may also be used by the recognition body (e.g. research in the country of education).
- If the documentation is not sufficient, further information or documentation may be requested from the applicant.
- A determination is made as to whether there are significant differences between the individual degree and the qualifying course content in Bavaria. The existence of the other special requirements for the granting of state recognition will also be examined. Proven professional experience and further certificates of qualification are taken into account.
Completion of the procedure
After receipt of the complete documents and the advance payment, the recognition office must decide on the application within three months by means of a notice.
The following results are possible:
- No significant differences are found and all other special requirements are met: State recognition is granted and a corresponding certificate is issued.
- If there are substantial differences or/and the special requirements for state recognition are not met: State recognition is not yet granted. A legally binding decision is issued stating which compensatory measures can be used to compensate for significant differences or deficits. Upon request, you can be issued a separate certificate of equivalence. You will be offered a corresponding adaptation course. After successful completion of the adaptation course, state recognition can be granted and a corresponding certificate issued.
- If the course of study completed abroad does not qualify the applicant for comparable work as a qualifying course of study in the Free State of Bavaria, the application will be rejected.
- If the applicant does not fulfill his/her obligation to cooperate and the facts cannot be clarified as a result, the application will be rejected.
- If there are significant differences between the foreign course of study completed and the corresponding course of study regulated by state law in Bavaria, compensatory measures are necessary.
- The areas of study for which compensatory measures are necessary will be determined by the recognition office by means of a decision. This entitles you to participate in the corresponding compensatory measures.
- Compensatory measures are offered as an adaptation course with a certificate of achievement.
- You are entitled to advice on which teaching institutions offer the corresponding compensatory measures.
- After completion of the adaptation course, you can submit a follow-up application for the granting of state recognition by presenting the acquired certificates of achievement.
It is possible to apply for a recognition grant at the "Zentrale Förderstelle Chemnitz". The application for the recognition grant must be made before submitting an application for professional recognition under the BayBQFG. Information on this can be found under "Further links" - "Recognition grant".
Translations must be carried out by interpreters or translators who are publicly appointed or sworn. They do not have to be publicly appointed or sworn in Germany; a translation by an interpreter or translator publicly appointed or sworn abroad is sufficient. A database of translators and interpreters sworn or certified in Germany can be found under "Further Links" - "Interpreter and Translator Bank").
A certification confirms that the copy corresponds to the original. Certifications can be obtained from the authority that issued the original document. In addition, the authorities of the Free State of Bavaria, the municipalities and associations of municipalities and other legal entities under public law subject to the supervision of the Free State of Bavaria as well as notaries are authorized to certify copies or issue certified copies. In order to save costs, it is not necessary to certify each individual page; evidence can also be certified in summary form.
Note for employers
The obligation of the respective appointing authority to check the professional and personal suitability of applicants for an assigned activity remains unaffected by the state recognition.
This applies in particular to the examination of reliability within the meaning of Art. 1 Para. 1 No. 2 or Art. 2 Para. 1 No.2 Bavarian Social and Childhood Educators Act.
Claims based on a determination made in accordance with the provisions of the Bavarian Professional Qualification Determination Act and the Bavarian Social and Childhood Educators Act cannot be derived in this respect against the recognition body.
Within one month of receipt of the application, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt.
Within three months of receipt of the complete documents and the advance payment, you will receive an appealable decision.
Note: The three-month period may be reasonably extended once if this is justified by the specifics of the matter.