Late repatriates; application for recognition of a certificate or qualification for an IHK occupation
If you are a late repatriate and have a vocational training qualification in industry, commerce or the service sector, your vocational training certificate or qualification may be recognized under certain conditions.
If you have acquired a vocational qualification at skilled worker level in the countries of the former Soviet Union, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania, the former Czechoslovakia, or Hungary and have a Spätaussiedlerbescheinigung or a Vertriebenenausweis, you can apply for recognition of your training qualification in accordance with the Bundesvertriebenengesetz (BVFG). The vocational qualification will be recognized if it is equivalent to a profession in the Federal Republic of Germany. Equivalence will be examined and granted on a case-by-case basis. However, a German examination certificate will not be issued.
If the qualification in question is comparable to a vocational qualification in industry, commerce or the service sector (not crafts), the Chamber of Industry and Commerce in whose district you live is responsible.
If you do not have late repatriate status, you can still have your foreign vocational qualification recognized. You can apply for recognition in accordance with the Vocational Qualifications Act (BQFG).
- recognized late repatriate status or federal expellee ID card
- vocational qualification at skilled worker level in the countries of the former Soviet Union, Poland, Romania, former Czechoslovakia or Hungary
- the qualification is extensively comparable with the respective German educational qualification
You can only apply for recognition of your qualification in writing.
- Use the application form on the website of your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) or under "Forms" (Application for recognition according to BVFG).
- If possible, speak personally with the responsible employee named for this purpose.
- Submit all documents mentioned in the application completely and certified.
- As a rule, you will receive verbal preliminary information as to whether and in which profession an equalization is possible.
- Your documents will be thoroughly checked and the application will be processed.
- You will receive a fee notice.
- Once the fee notice has been paid, you will be sent the notice of recognition or non-recognition.
The processing of the complete documents usually takes up to 6 weeks.
Regional complement (Industrie- und Handelskammer für München und Oberbayern)
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag e.V.
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited