Mountain and ski guide; application for recognition of a foreign qualification

The profession "mountain and ski guide" is regulated in Bavaria. This means that you must have a recognition of your foreign qualification if you want to work in this profession in Bavaria not only temporarily or occasionally.


If you have acquired your qualification as a mountain and ski guide in the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you can apply for recognition of your qualification to work as a mountain and ski guide in Bavaria. In all other cases, recognition is not possible.

Formal recognition of your foreign qualification is not necessary if you only want to work as a mountain and ski guide temporarily or occasionally. "Temporarily and occasionally" means that you do not have a residence in Germany and are not established in Germany. The temporary and occasional character also depends on the duration, frequency, regular recurrence and continuity of your activity. Within the framework of your application for recognition, it will be examined whether professional activity is intended to be permanent or occasional or temporary.


You must provide proof of your professional experience (e.g. through work references).

If you want to run a mountaineering school in Bavaria according to § 2 para. 2 Bavarian Mountain and Ski School Ordinance or work as a teacher in such a school, you must have German language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. If German is not your native language or there are doubts that you have sufficient knowledge of German, you must prove your knowledge of German. This is possible e.g. by presenting a German certificate of the Goethe Institute level B2, the German Language Diploma of the KMK level 2, the TELC for German level 2.


You can submit the application for recognition of the foreign qualification in writing or electronically to the responsible office, the Technical University of Munich.

If you are a citizen of a member state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) and have completed your training in an EU/EEA state, you can also apply for a European Professional Card (EBA). The professional card is not an ID card in the actual sense, but an electronic proof that a professional qualification has been recognized by another EU country or that the requirements for the temporary provision of services in this country have been met. It can only be applied for via an online procedure. Further information can be found under "Related topics".

The Technical University of Munich decides on the recognition of your qualification:

  • It compares your foreign qualification with the qualification "mountain and ski guide" with regard to prerequisites, training and examinations.
  • In particular, it checks whether you are authorized to practice the profession of mountain and ski guide in your country of origin and whether there are significant differences between the two qualifications.
  • Your professional experience (from abroad or from Germany) is also taken into account.

Once you have submitted the documents in full, the Technical University of Munich will usually inform you in writing within one month whether a compensatory measure is necessary and, if so, to what extent.

If a compensatory measure is necessary, you can choose between an aptitude test and an adaptation course:

  • Adaptation course: in the adaptation course you complete additional training under the supervision and responsibility of a trained state-certified mountain and ski guide. You complete the adaptation course with an assessment. The Technical University of Munich determines the scope, content and assessment of the adaptation course, the legal status of the course participant and the mountaineering school at which the adaptation course is to be held.
  • Aptitude test: In the aptitude test, you must demonstrate the essential skills, abilities and knowledge that you must have for the profession of mountain and ski guide. The Technical University of Munich generally conducts the aptitude test in conjunction with the corresponding specialist sports instructor examinations in Bavaria. You can repeat the exam twice.

If you successfully complete the chosen compensatory measure, you will receive recognition of your qualification.

Special notes

  • When submitting written and electronic applications, please do not submit originals, but officially certified copies. An "official certification" means that a public office (e.g. city administration, mayor's office) certifies with signature and stamp that the photocopy/transcript matches the original and is therefore genuine. When applying online for the European Professional Card, you can upload scanned documents (it is not necessary to scan the certified documents).
  • If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of the documents. The translations must be made by interpreters or translators who are publicly appointed or sworn in Germany or abroad. The translations must be made from the original or from the certified copies. This must be certified by the translator. If the European Professional Card is applied for online, the originals can be scanned (no German translation required).
  • Late repatriates can choose to go through the recognition procedure according to the law mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act (§ 10 BVG). You can decide this yourself. Your competent office will advise you on this.



Processing time

Once you have submitted the complete documents, the Technical University of Munich will usually inform you in writing within one month whether a compensatory measure is necessary and, if so, to what extent.

European Professional Card:

  • The competent authority in your country of origin will confirm receipt of your application and inform you of any missing documents and applicable fees within one week.
  • The authority of your country of origin must examine your application within a maximum period of 1 month and forward it to the host country.

Required documents

  • Valid passport or identity card (certified copy if necessary)
  • Proof of nationality (certified copy, if applicable)
  • Certificates about your qualification (if necessary certified copies in German language)
  • current, tabular curriculum vitae with date and signature (incl. contents of the training)
  • Proof of your professional experience (if applicable, e.g. certified copies of employer's references in German)
  • Declaration that recognition is being sought for the training course "Mountain and ski guide
  • additionally, when applying for the European Professional Card:

    • Proof of payment of the service fee charged by the Technical University of Munich.
    • in the case of establishment:
      • ID card of the International Federation of Mountain Guide Associations (IVBV), also as proof of further education and training
      • simple certificate of good conduct
      • medical certificate
    • in the case of temporary provision of services:
      • Certificate of legal residence in the country of origin


Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.

  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide: Formloser Antrag (ohne Unterschrift)
    Please note

    This form requires no signature. You can sent it electronically (e.g. by secure email or De-Mail) or as hardcopy to the responsible authority.

Online procedures

  • Europäischer Berufsausweis - Online-Beantragung

    You need to register with the European Commission's authentication service and create a profile with your personal and contact details. You can then submit your application for the European Professional Card, upload scanned copies of documents and send them to the authority in your country of origin.


  • When applying for the European Professional Card online, the Technical University of Munich will charge administrative costs of 50 euros. In addition, the authority in the country of origin may charge fees for checking your file. You will receive a separate invoice from each authority.

    The Technical University of Munich charges a fee of between EUR 100 and EUR 1,700 for conducting the aptitude test, depending on the time and effort involved.

    Costs for adaptation course: The amount depends on which deficits exist and can therefore vary greatly.


An appeal is permitted against the decision of the competent body. This allows you to take legal action against the decision so that it can be reviewed. Details of how to do this can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. However, you are advised to clarify the disputed issues with the competent body before lodging an appeal.

Status: 23.08.2022

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Unterricht und Kultus

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.