EU Blue Card; Application

The EU Blue Card can be applied for by non-EU nationals with an academic or equivalent level of qualification who intend to take up employment in Germany.



A foreigner is granted an EU Blue Card if

  • he or she holds a German university degree, a recognized foreign university degree or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree
  • the employment in question corresponds to the qualification
  • the Federal Employment Agency has agreed or it has been determined that the EU Blue Card can be issued without the approval of the Federal Employment Agency, and
  • he/she receives a certain minimum salary, which is determined by legal ordinance.

Special notes

A foreigner will not be issued an EU Blue Card,

  • if - he/she is staying in a Member State of the EU on the basis of an application for refugee status or for subsidiary protection,
  • he/she enjoys international protection in a Member State of the EU,
  • he/she is staying in a Member State of the EU under a temporary protection regime,
  • he/she has lodged an application for temporary protection in a Member State of the EU, - he/she has been granted temporary protection in a Member State of the EU.
  • he is tolerated in a member state of the EU,
  • he/she is in possession of a permit for permanent residence in the EU,
  • he enjoys the right to free movement of persons,
  • he/she is in possession of a humanitarian residence title or he/she has applied for such a title or legal status and a decision on the application has not yet been taken,
  • whose entry into a Member State of the European Union is subject to obligations deriving from international agreements facilitating the entry and temporary stay of certain categories of natural persons engaged in trade and investment-related activities,
  • he/she has been admitted as a seasonal worker in a Member State of the EU, or
  • he/she is staying in the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany as a posted worker in the context of the provision of services.

Spouses of EU Blue Card holders are entitled to a residence permit. This entitles them to gainful employment.

After 33 months of highly qualified employment, or after 21 months if sufficient German language skills are proven, EU Blue Card holders have the option of obtaining a settlement permit.

After 18 months of holding an EU Blue Card, foreigners have the right to settle together with their family members in another EU member state (except Denmark, Ireland and Great Britain) and apply for an EU Blue Card for corresponding employment in the second member state.



Required documents

  • If necessary, you may be required to produce additional documents

    The documents to be presented may vary greatly. Please find out more details from your competent Aliens Department (Ausländerbehörde). As a general rule, the documents listed above will be required (among others).

  • Valid passport

  • Current biometric photo (front shot)

  • Supporting documents evidencing compliance with the passport or visa requirement

  • Supporting documents evidencing medical insurance coverage

  • Supporting documents evidencing a university degree

  • Supporting documents evidencing actual employment or a job offer


    • Period of validity up to one year: 100 EUR
    • Period of validity over one year: 100 EUR
    • Extension up to three months: 96 EUR
    • Extension for more than three months: 93 EUR

Legal bases


Administrative court proceedings; information

Administrative court action

Links to more information


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.