Specialist; application for recognition of a foreign specialist qualification from a third country.
If you have a certificate of further training (specialist qualification) that was acquired in a state outside the European Union or the European Economic Area ("third country"), this may be recognized under certain circumstances and a certificate of German specialist competence issued.
If you hold a further training certificate (specialist qualification) from a third country, you can apply for recognition of the designation if the equivalence of the further training status is given.
The Bavarian Medical Association will check whether the qualification of your specialist qualification acquired in the third country is equivalent to the designation applied for in accordance with the further training regulations for the physicians of Bavaria.
If there are significant differences, an examination must be taken.
- Medical license
- Membership of a medical district association in Bavaria
- Proof of further training (specialist qualification) from a third country
The application form for recognition of a specialist qualification from a third country must be requested in writing (informally) or by telephone from the Bavarian Medical Association.
The fully completed application form must be sent to the Bavarian Medical Association together with the required documents.
The Bavarian Medical Association will confirm receipt of the application documents within one month. It informs which documents are missing, if any. It decides on the recognition no later than three months after receipt of the complete documents. In justified cases, this deadline can be extended by one month.
- Diploma of basic medical training with apostille/legalisation in original language with translation by a translator officially sworn in Germany
- Diploma/recognition/certificate of completed further training with apostille/legalisation in original language with translation by a translator officially sworn in Germany.
- At the request of the Bavarian Medical Association, further documents may be required to prove the equivalence of the further training.
Applications for recognition of a specialist qualification from third countries are subject to a fee.
The fees are charged on a time and material basis in accordance with the applicable fee statutes. A minimum fee of EUR 125.00 is due upon submission of the application. It is taken into account in the final invoice upon completion. The maximum fee is 1000.00 EUR.
Objection or administrative court action
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited