Civil servant; application for recognition of a foreign qualification
The profession of "civil servant" is regulated in Bavaria, as certain training is regularly required. This means that the foreign professional qualification must be recognized by the competent body.
Recognition can be granted for professional qualifications acquired in a member state of the European Union (EU) or in another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) or in Switzerland that correspond to a qualification for a specialist career.
Special regulations apply to the recognition of a foreign teaching qualification (see the service "Teaching at public schools; applying for recognition of a foreign teaching qualification" under "Related topics").
The recognition of the professional qualification acquired in another member state as a qualification for a specialized career is carried out according to Art. 41 to 51 of the Leistungslaufbahngesetz (LlbG).
The application for recognition must be addressed to the competent authority. The competent authority shall be the supreme service authority in whose area of responsibility the establishment of a civil service relationship is sought. In the case of municipal corporations, the highest service authority shall be replaced by the State Ministry of the Interior, for Sports and Integration, and in the case of other corporations, legally responsible institutions and foundations under public law subject to the supervision of the state, by the supervisory authority (Art. 44 Para. 1 Leistungslaufbahngesetz).
The competent authority determines whether the qualification can be assigned to a specialized career or a specialized focus. A comparison is made between the preliminary and training requirements for a specialist career and specialist focus in the corresponding qualification level and the submitted evidence of the acquired professional qualification.
If there is a deficit
- because the previous training with regard to the professional activity relates to subjects that differ substantially from those prescribed in the free state
- or the specialized career or the specialized focus enables the performance of a more extensive field of activity than the regulated profession in the member state of the applicant in which the qualification certificate was acquired, and if the training required in the Free State of Bavaria relates to subjects that differ substantially from those covered by the qualification certificates submitted by the applicant,
a compensatory measure may be required.
If a compensatory measure is imposed, the applicant has the choice between an aptitude test and an adaptation course.
- The aptitude test is a state examination concerning professional knowledge, skills, and competencies that assesses the potential to perform the duties of the targeted professional career or focus.
- The purpose of the adaptation course is to acquire the qualification that is lacking in the comparison between existing and required education. During the adaptation training course, tasks of the targeted specialized career or the targeted specialized focus are exercised.
In the case of entry at the third or fourth qualification level in a specialist career or in a specialist focus in which precise knowledge of German law is required and the provision of advice or assistance in relation to German law is an essential and constant part of the exercise of the profession, the option does not exist. A successful aptitude test must be taken.
Upon successful completion of the recognition procedure, the qualification for a specialist career and, if formed, for a specialist focus is acquired.
Recognition does not constitute an entitlement to employment.
The competent body shall confirm receipt of the application within one month and, if necessary, inform the applicant of any documents that need to be supplemented. If the documents are complete, the decision must be made within four months.
- Proof of nationality of a Member State
- Proof of qualifications
- Certificates or documents issued by the country of origin or the country from which the foreign national comes confirming that the person concerned has not committed any criminal offence, serious professional misconduct or other circumstances which might call into question his or her suitability
(These documents must not be more than three months old when they are presented).
- Proof of the occupation to which the qualification entitles the holder in the home country or country of origin.
- certificate attesting to the nature and duration of the activities pursued in a Member State in the field covered by the qualification after it was acquired
- evidence of the content and duration of the studies and training received, in the form of study regulations, examination regulations, record of studies or any other appropriate means; the evidence must indicate the requirements which led to the award of the qualification
- a statement of the type of work in the public administration which is envisaged on the basis of the qualification
Art. 41 bis 51 Gesetz über die Leistungslaufbahn und die Fachlaufbahnen der bayerischen Beamten und Beamtinnen (Leistungslaufbahngesetz - LlbG)
Appeal or administrative court action However, it is recommended to clarify the disputed issues with the competent body before filing an appeal.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium der Finanzen und für Heimat
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited